Thread: Night Feeds

Default Night Feeds

Just curious to know how many Mums out there still have their bubs waking at night for several feeds?

And what did other mums do to stop the night feeds to encourage sleeping through? My Bub is 10 mths old and still waking for these feeds...
    I tried controlled crying for a bit but hated it!
    Very interested in hearing how your babies are at night.

Thanks
    Carol

I gradually weaned Matilda off night feeds going from around 11 months. We would give her less & less each time. And near the end we were giving her diluted 50mls formula and she stopped waking for those feeds. However, sometimes she still wakes up in the middle of the night & DH goes into her & gives her a cuddle, changes her nappy & gives her a cup of water to have a drink. Then he tries to settle her back to sleep. If it doesn't work, he gives her a bottle. But saying that she only does this 1-2 times a week now rather than 1-2 times a night like she used too.

Good luck!!

Aussie_Chik Guest

We had to force Tommy to give up the dummy and learn to settle himself. I thought he was waking for a feed but turns out he was crying cause he woke up and couldn't put himself back to sleep. Now that he's without a dummy he has learnt to put himself to sleep without any other aids and when he wakes in the middle of the night he may cry for a little while but then is able to go off again and sleep through. Unfortuantely to teach him this we did have to let him cry though in the beginnig, but it was well worth it. I just thought of it as giving him tools to help himslef rather than being cruel. We haven't looked back. If you want more details on how we did it - let me know.

1lauren123 Guest

hey,my daughter is nearly 4months,she does not wake up during the night anymore for feed.She used to wake every 2-3hours for a breast feed but as soon as i gave her formula before bed she would sleep from 9.30 till 6 every morning.

Up until 3 nights ago I was still feeding Jenna once or twice a night. She has been absolutely the devil baby, which is why we shifted her into her own room finally 3 nights ago. Fabulous move!! Was certainly the time to do it!! Haven't fed her the last 2 nights, and fed once the night before that. She still wakes up once a night, but I wont feed her unless she wont resettle.

I have to say we have been doing a bit of controlled crying, but only because we know her cries now and we dont feel bad about it. I couldn't do it a couple of months ago, but now I'm a seriously sleep deprived mummy who needs her space.

I would never begrudge a baby one feed a night though if it settled them. Its annoying, but its not like they will be doing when they are 10!! At least, not in bed with me anyway

Custardtart Guest

When Christine was six months old I started giving her a bottle of water rather than milk if she woke at night. If they're thirsty, they'll drink the water and go back to sleep. She complained for the first few nights about being cuddled and put back down, but within a week she was sleeping through the night.
    I didn't need to do it with Sam, she slept through from two months without encouragement, but I will with Max if he is still waking for a 2am feed when he's six months old, also. I reckon that's old enough to cope with an eight hour stretch without milk without it doing him any damage

Kerrie