Thread: night time waking !

Default night time waking !

4 month old DS has decided that 2.00 - 4.00am is a great time to be awake.

I have tried feeding him, putting back in dummy, rewrapping etc and rocking him to get him back to sleep but nothing really works.

Is this just a phase that will pass (hopefully soon) ?????

I would say it is more than likely a passing stage. At 4mths old they go through some pretty huge advancements developmentally - they are more interactive with us, they are starting to meet a lot of their milestones (rolling etc) and are generally more aware of their surroundings. There is some great info from kellymom here kellymom.com ::Wakeful 4 Month Olds by Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC that explains so much - it really does make a lot of what they do *click* once you understand a bit of the science behind it.

Thanks for the link Trillian. An interesting read. I don't mind the getting up to feed him (which takes 20 minutes or so) its just the extra 1.5 hours that he is awake and won't go back to sleep!

Hopefully this phase won't last too long - i'm like a zombie the next morning!

~Belinda~ Guest

Jacki, I've posted similar stuff in the Teething Thread! My DD is going through this at the moment! OMG, I feel like a zombie too, she has been tossing/turning all night in her cot and then comes in with us and continues to toss/turn, want her dummy all the time when it falls out and she's generally really unhappy. I have been giving her baby nurofen which doesn't seem to help much. Her cheeks have been red of late and she's been tugging at ears and generally unwell, think her top teeth are coming through. Her bottom ones came through at 4 months so maybe your little one is getting his? Just a thought, any other symptoms?

I too have heard about the development thing and wondering whether Madeleine is going through it now? She has slept through since 8 weeks old!

Just a hijack of this thread though, does anyone know whether my DD would be getting too hot at night? It's rather cool now of course but if I bring her into bed with us, we have a feather doona that keeps the heat in quite well and it is a very good quality doona. Maybe being too hot is causing her to toss and turn? Just wondering whether anyone thinks this MAY BE IT?

Belinda

Jacki- he is not getting too much sleep during the day is he? My DD starting waking for long periods at night at 4 months and I cut her day sleeps down to about 3 to 4 hours and she then stayed asleep at night. But then another change happened but that's another story..........
    Eveningstar- I have read that babies should have their own linen (ie cotton or wool rug) when co sleeping and doonas are not advised. May be keeping her restless??? If you can figure out how a baby goes between 2 adults sharing one doona and the baby in the middle isn't covered by it, let me know!!

Hi all,

Um, when our DD is in bed with us, she loses the benefit of the doona cause DH and I roll to opposite sides of the bed and stretch the doona to it's limits so it is just open space above DD, so she is in a sleeping bag when in bed with us..

Belinda - I had a doona like sleeping bag on DD the other weekend (one with no arms, but doona like base), and she got too hot, and cried and tossed. As soon as we took that off her, she slept well. So yes being too hot does affect their sleeping.

Jacki, I went through a similar thing as well. When DD wasn't screaming, I would put her in her bed and she would wonder back to sleep, otherwise I would lie on the lounge floor with all the lights out. I would go back to sleep (I can sleep anywhere though), and after about 1/2 hr she would also drift off through boredom. It was only when I was actively awake with her she wouldn't settle.

Don't know if I have been any help or not.. Also I have forced DH to take an active role if Kimberley is awake too much at night. That way I also get some rest..

GL with getting some sleep..

Deirdre - I don't think he is getting too much day sleep - usually one sleep of 2 sleep cycles and 2 more naps of around 45 minutes - so all up around 3 hours.
    When he is awake he is happy and just babbling to himself so maybe it is just a developmental spurt and he is "practising" his new words.

Belinda - can't see any signs of teeth yet - and the way he keeps nipping my nipple between his gums I hope they don't turn up for some time yet !!

Hi Jacki,

Jasper is going through the same stage at the moment! During the day he sleeps for longer (and finally goes to sleep without screaming) and last night he woke up at 11.30 and continued to wake up every 1 to 2 hours till 7. Doesn't make for a lot of sleep... Hopefully he will grow out of it sooner rather than later!