Thread: Nightmares

Default Nightmares

I was wondering if anyone knows if two yr olds can have nightmares/night terrors?

Would love any answers at all.

From one tired mummy

YES, YES, YES!! Definately!
    It is the worst thing I have ever experienced with Maddison!

She was about 18 months old & one night started screaming hysterically & she was petrified of something.... I went racing into her room, as she had never woken up since 8 days old & it was a shock, I thought her arms & legs were being cut off she was that hysterical..
    But she was standing in her cot jumping trying to cling onto me, screaming, but with a glazed over look... I tried to resettle her but it was truly impossible & she was not waking up , just out of conttrol...
    I finally got her to relax a little & talked to her sang to her & she calmed down, but as soon as I put her near her cot all hell broke loose again... She was scratching me by climbing on to me, I turned the light on to see what was in her coit, but nothing! I had no idea what was going on, so let her sleep in bed with me...
    I spoke to a friend who suggested calling MCHN... Whom immediately said around 2 yrs of age (give or take) they can have night terrors, from seing something on TV, or hearing a story & playing things through their mind/memory!!!
    She suggested painstop to dope her out to get her back to sleeping again, which I couldnt do... So it took almost a week, of getting up & settling but eventuially it stopped...
    She'd wake up & I'd go in & not pick her up but show her there wasnt anything scary & talk to her & let her know I was there & I popped a night light on in her room so she could see, but she wasnt awake as such, so i'd wait toil she slowly calmed down & would actually wake then I'd cuddle her & show her again & eventually she did resettle & go back to sleep & started waking & screaming less.. Within the week it was all over! I became aware of the news not being on or anything scary on TV during the day... Silly things that are not scary to us can be scary for them...

Good Luck!!!

Kell Guest

Absolutely - my 3 year old started with the night terrors around 18mths too, and was much the same as Maddison, screaming inconsolable etc. She still has them sometimes and i find that i actually have to wake her up fully to calm her down and then she drifts back off. Sometimes i have to stay in her room with her while she settles. During the day i would keep an eye on what she was doing so that when she has a nightmare i can usually recognise what she is associating with (ie something she watched or read etc) and can explain (as she got older) it is a dream, or pretend.

Thanks girls.
    They seemed to have stopped the past few nights so hopefully it was a once off!!