Thread: Nightmares???

Fire Fly Guest

Default Nightmares???

My DD daughter Claire has not long turned 2.
    She has a nasty cold at the moment and night time is a bit of a drama. She has been waking at 1.30ish and ive been bringing her into our bed due to keeping an eye on her. (and to get some sleep lol). Thats only happened 2 nights thank god as she doesnt sleep with us generally.
    My question is though, the last couple of nights she has been yelling out "NO!" and kicking off her blanket. She wont let me touch or soothe her for agers. She wont let me put the blanket back on either until i know she has gone back to sleep. I have to sing quietly to settle her down and then finally she goes back to down.
    She doesnt cry once she calls out, she is just very unsettled. I dont think she wakes up completely either and thats why she doesnt want me to touch her. But its soothing for her to know im there by singing. Do 2 year olds have nightmares?????????

kerrie

Hey there,
    When Ashy was about 2 1/2 i think she started calling out NO NO NO NO in her sleep and was the same, kicking blankets, not letting me touch her or get near her. In the end she was so worked up and still dreaming that i had to physically pick her up, turn the light on, walk around just to wake her properly cause she was so worked up. Once she woke up and realised it was me she was fine, and i put her straight back to bed and she went to sleep no problems. She still every now and then sleep talks or calls out in her sleep. She doesnt often have nightmares, but if she does I just keep talking to her and telling her its ok and mummy's here and she kinda snaps out of it and goes back to sleep.
    Its very common for kids to start having nightmares around 2ish.

Custardtart Guest

I found the same sort of thing, not yelling out "NO", but being upset and not wanting to settle, still being half asleep. I found I had to wake her up fully in order to settle her back down again, as otherwise she kept dreaming and was upset.

Kerrie

DEFINATELY!! They definately have nightmares!

What you are describing sounds like night terrors. My daughter has them quite often and sometimes it takes absolutely ages to wake her up. She gets so upset sometimes that she cries and cries until she vomits.

She sits bolt upright in bed, looks like she is awake and won't let anyone touch her. She talks nonsensical stuff (understandable words but not making much sense) and often repeats it over and over. I try to cuddle her and sing to calm her but often she won't have a bar of it! One time she even slept (with her eyes open) while I bathed her after she vomited.

It's hard for me to describe the full night terror thing - they say that sometimes the child's day is replaying in their sleep, so sometimes a big eventful day will be a trigger for them (certainly is with Cairenn). Also, a child with a very active imagination may be a prime candidate.

Maybe have a net search on the topic to see if you can get some more advice!!

My kids have no hope - I still talk in my sleep and sleep walk....... 8-[

Default REPLY

Honey there called night terrors, they arnt awake, there eyes may be open but there are still in the nightmare stage, DO NOT WAKE THEM, this has been my exprience,my DD has had them about 4 times, they will eventually calm dwn and go back to sleep, dont force them to lay down or be cuddled as they'll fight even more i no its hard coz as their mummy that's all we ant to do is console, but its the worst thing 2 do, dont put her blankets on, just keep doing what u r doing, sing softly and rub her head if she'll let u and then when u no she's asleep put her blankets back on, shes ok and she wont remember it in the morning it doesnt effect them only us. It scared the crap out of me when it first happened. God luck sweetie.xx O

Nadia, just out of interest, why do you say not to wake them?

Fire Fly Guest

Thanks guys youve put me at peace. Not because she is having nightmares but to keep doing what im doing.
    Its pretty dawnting cause i cant do much.

Im curious as to why you dont wake them. Not that i try but curious :-s

kerrie

Come to think of it Dh and i had a bit of a heated discussion when he got home and i know it upsets her. mmmmmmm i wonder.........?

Default RESPONSE

Swettie i was told not to wake the by my MCHN, she said it can actually scare them more and they r in the dream so they no u r there by your singing. It's the same as not waking a sleep walker, u no just guide them back to bed, soory i cant b of more help darl. 8-[

I've always woken Ashlea up. She doesnt often have the night terrors, but the few times she has I wake her, she realises its me and she's ok and goes straight back to sleep, otherwise she keeps crying and getting upset.

Default REPLY

Dee, if that works for you waking her up then do it. I was just told not to, but hey every child is different arent they and we get told so many different things to try and do dont we! Good luck sorry if i couldnt help darl. O