Thread: No Bowel Movement

newie Guest

Default No Bowel Movement

Any advice, tips or tricks would be great. My baby girl Sienna Mae is 10 weeks old and was pooing like a trooper and it then went to 1 a day. However the past week she went over 48 hours then following this over 72 hours. During this week every feed she is disrupted by what it seems like is trying to poo. She goes red, grunts and pushes etc and then has a little tear because she obviously cannot get it out. We change positions, leave her with nappy of each feed, put her on stomach, masssage her stomach, tried all these different things and it doesnt seem to work. Occasionally she will let out some wind which you then see some relief for her, but it is obviously upsetting her and I would love to know what I else I could do. FYI she is b/f only. Thanks ladies.......

julesy Guest

Hi Newie and welcome!

Believe it or not, babies that a fully breastfed can go up to 2 weeks without a poo. I was told that when they are on a growth spurt, their little bodies literally use every ounce of milk to gain weight, which leaves very little at the other end! My girl went for 8 days without a poo, but when she did go...WOW!! All I can say is have some extra wipes on hand when she does go! The wind in between poos was horrendous too...

If she is grunting etc, she might have some wind. If when she does go, the poo is normal in consistency and colour, I'd say she has had a growth spurt. If it isn't, maybe a visit to the doc for some reassurance will help.

I've heard gripe water or peppermint water from the chemist is good for wind.

If you want to try a homemade remedy for a sure fire poo, try some prune juice with a little sugar. I gave my girl about 2 mls, and 4 hours later we were needing a new pack of wipes!!

However, it all sounds pretty normal, I would give her a few more days!

Good luck!

Julesy

Caleb is fully b/f and has gone 8 days between poos. He can still have a bit of wind pain and once he farts he is fine.
    Constipation is classed as small and hard rabbit poo like things. As long as the poo is soft, not hard when it's passed it is fine.
    It's a bonus if you're doing cloth!

Id mix a little brown sugar with water (1/4 teaspoon to 1 oz water)... always makes Jesse poo when he's constipated. Only give the 1 oz though (otherwise it may turn into the runs) and see how she is the next day, if nothing then give another 1 oz..

newie, as others have said, breastfed babys can go 2 weeks without a pooh. mine did, actually one use to go every 10 days and boy then we needed a swat team for mop up. there really is no need for sugar and water, it is actually quite an old wives tale and totally inappropriate for a breastfed bub (sorry kell ). all she needs is breast milk. keep up the great work.
    beckles

Hi newie

In the beginning my son Dylan would poo with every nappy change, then it went to every couple of days, then weekly and then he went three weeks without a poo a couple of months back but was not in any discomfort but farting a lot. He was fully breastfed at that stage and I asked our GP who was not concerned and said it would be because there was no residue left from the breastmilk to pass, ie he had used it all up. He did go a few days later and it was not the biggest poo he has ever done but pretty big. He is now 6 months old and has one bottle of formula at about 6pm and is on two meals of solids every day plus has four or five breastfeeds still and now does one or two poos every day. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. Also just like Sammi-j said, Dylan was constipated two days back and when it eventually came out after much straining, red face and crying it was like small hard rabbit droppings.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by beckles View Post
    there really is no need for sugar and water, it is actually quite an old wives tale and totally inappropriate for a breastfed bub (sorry kell ). all she needs is breast milk. keep up the great work.
    beckles
    Sorry.. didnt think. Jesse is bottlefed so i just automatically thought of him.. my bad

Like Beckles said, a poo every 7, 10 or more days is very normal with bf babies. It's one of the advantages if you ask me! Both my boys have done this - enjoy it while you can. Once the solids start they will get more frequent again. No remedies are necessary!

newie Guest

Hi Ladies, thanks so much for all your replies. I will relax a little, as mentioned her pain isnt constant, so until/if it becomes that I guess I have nothing to worry about! It is great being able to get reassurance like this!

Yay for this post 'cos Ned used to pooh heaps every day too, then it went to twice daily and then once. Now he hasn't poohed since Sunday :eek: and I was getting a little concerned. Hope all is ok though and he's not getting sick again

soph put that worry moster in the cupboard, ned'll be fine, just being a normal breastfed baby
    beckles