Thread: Is it normal for baby's bowel movements to change at 6 months?

Default Is it normal for baby's bowel movements to change at 6 months?

My DD has been breast fed and for the first three months she pooed many times a day. After that (until now) she was pooing two to three times a day. Then suddenly about a week before she turned 6 months she didn't poo for a few days. Now she will poo every few days and usually do at least two in a day (they aren't hard at all but much thicker than they used to be). I know that breast fed babies can poo anywhere from several times a day to every few days. But I assumed that she was one of the several times a day babies after months of it being that way. What I want to know is it normal for it to change now at 6 months?

Some extra info - at about 5 months due to my concern of her weight I started offering some formula top ups but she very rarely takes it and if she does she'll only drink about 10-20 mls. Very very rarely she'll drink 60 mls of it. I don't think that changed things though because she was having that for a while before the changes to her bowel habits. Also at around 5 1/2 months I started to try and introduce solids but so far she has not eaten any of it and I have only offered it on occasion (every few days), so I don't think that could have changed anything.

TIA!

Hi Tanya
    My DS' poos changed around that time too, but I think that co-incided with him starting solids as well, so I can't say for sure whether it's an age thing or the fact he started solids.
    Hope someone else has more advice for you

JIC anyone else comes across a 6 month change in bowel movements and is wondering if it's normal I thought I'd post what I found out. I saw a paediatrician (not about this topic LOL but I asked while I was there) and she said that babies bowel habits do tend to change around 6 months. So it is normal for bowel movements to change at 6 months.