Thread: Nosebleeds - is this normal?

Default Nosebleeds - is this normal?

Tonight Aidyn woke up wimpering in his cot, so I picked him up, only to realise that there was blood pouring out of his nose.
    It wasn't just a trickle, more like a steady stream for a good 5-10 mins.
    This has really freaked me out, as I have never seen so much blood from a blood nose, all 3 of us had it all over us.
    This also happened a week ago when DP was watching him (when I was in Melb) Aidyn woke up crying at 6am with a blood nose... for no apparent cause.

I know nosebleeds can be common in some kids (I think?) but is it normal for him to wake up from his sleep bleeding like that?
    And twice in one week?
    Does anyone know the cause of nosebleeds?

I'm a bit worried....

Pietta Guest

Im so sorry Ambah that i cant help you but i hope Aidyn is better soon

Oh poor Aidyn, not more nosebleeds!

I have no advice to offer you but Trevor gets nosebleeds when he is hot, or if he has hayfever. Maybe they could be triggers if your case.

Melinda Guest

When I was in high school, I was very prone to nosebleeds. I'd get shocking ones that would last for ages and could be brought on by simply tapping my nose with my finger! (I kid you not!)

I still get them from time to time, but thankfully not like that......

If you're concerned, perhaps take him to the Doctor. I'd be worried if that happened to Jacob too! Poor little sausage!

Custardtart Guest

I was under the impression that one of the causes of nosebleeds can be anemia? My oldest daughter still gets them occasionally so I try to boost her iron intake with children's vitamin supplements.

Kerrie

thanks for you advice everyone

I have done some more research online, and in most cases it is very common and there is nothing to worry about. There can be many causes, but most of them are not serious, and just little things.

Like Shannon said if the nosebleeds last longer than 15 mins, or if he keeps getting them frequently, then maybe it is more of a cause for concern, and I will be taking him along to Drs, just to have a chat about it...

But gosh its really disturbing... it really got me panicked lastnight...

Oh, and I also found out that its not a good idea to lie them on their back as they will end up swallowing the blood which can irritate their stomach.
    You're meant to pinch their nostrils shut and have them leaning forwards... however with a crying squirming toddler its not really possible.. #-o

Hi Ambah

Another thing to consider is the air con, they can dry out the air and this is a common cause of nose bleeds.