Thread: Not Buying a Pram until after baby arrives

Default Not Buying a Pram until after baby arrives

Hi All

Just wanted to get some opinions on not buying a pram until baby is born. DH and I thought we might wait a bit before we buy a pram. We have a Baby Sling/Carrier and thought that we might be able to get around with just this for a bit (not sure how long 1 -2 months). Is it really realistic/practical to just have a sling? Any experiences or thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Emma...i think its totally practical to just have a sling for the first few months. Bubs love being in them and love the close contact to mum and dad. Sammy loves being in his sling and while we do have a pram for walks..he much prefers the sling to anything else.

Jo

Hi ej :wave:

I still havent used the pram for Jasmine and she is 10 weeks old this week. I spent a fortune and bought the Bugaboo Cameleon *slaps self* and also a 'back up' pram and I just dont use them at all. I probably will soon, but I definitely could have waited.

I also bought a few slings/carriers and of course the one she likes is the cheapest LOL and its just like a piece of material that I wrap over one shoulder and she can lay or sit in it if she likes.

I dont really take her out much at this stage though, only to friends houses, relatives etc and when we go to the Doctors or something, I just carry her anyway. Im sure that will all change soon, but I never wanted a pram in the first place. Im just not a pram "mum" right now and wonder if I will ever be!

You can certainly go without a pram if you want to. In my opinion of course.

I wanted to use just a sling and not a pram, so I bought a very cheap pram, but I find I use them both. Because it's been hot, the sling is not practical for outdoor use, so I've had to use pram, however it will be cooler for you I guess when bubs is here, so a sling is ok.
    I find the pram is great for walks and when I pick my daughter up from school, but the sling is good for shopping, when I need my hands!!
    xo

I think it's certainly possible to use only a carrier or sling while you are comfortable with it. Tamsin is now 4 months old, and we still haven't used the pram that DH's parents got for us... I go walking with her in our carrier for about 45+ mins at least 3 times a week, too, so even for that you don't need a pram if you are comfortable using a sling.

I think it is a great idea not to buy a pram until after the bubs is born. A sling is a great way to get around in. Plus you might know what you want more in way of a pram when bubs arrives.

I think you'll be fine just having a sling for a while. The pram was probably one of our biggest wastes of money - Kynan hated it! We have him in the hug a bub whenever we go out.