Thread: not eating...anything..

Default not eating...anything..

Well Chloe has given up on eating, absolutly everything.

I remember Joshua doing this so I know it can be normal, butwhen Josh did it he was about 2 not 1.

Chloe used to be such a good eater, would eat everything in sight but now it seems her food is boring maybe? shes started etaing what we eat and when we eat,but still she refuses to eat it, even something new she will clamp her mouth shut and push your hand away (finger foods and spoon fed), i tried to force it in.. not overly nice, as then she decided to scream and choke on it, so didnt do that again

shes not drinking much milk either, she has about 50mls which i was told is ok for her age as she should be eating her solids and not much milk..

its been 3 days now and she feels lighter to me, I do think she is getting her first molars as its very red and white at the back of her gums, shes also trying to walkand do things for herself, and turing the big 1 in 2 days shes going through alot of mental changes aswell, so i know shes not feeling the best right now..

anyway lol basically I was just wandering if anyone can give me any reasurance about her not eating and what I should try and how long to leave it before taking her to a doctor to getchecked.I dont think she has a sore throat as it looks pretty normal back there atm

do u think the move could be contributing aswelll? as ive just realised its been since about the day after we moved here

thanks
    Lesley

Hi Lesley! I constantly go through this with Lucie too. Does Chloe drink any water or juice? Just keep your eyes on her wet nappies I guess and make sure she is hydrated enough. And it's just your mind playing games I reckon re her feeling lighter. I always think that too when Lucie goes through a rough patch! Hope it picks up soon for you.

Matilda has gone through this a few times... especially when her teeth are bothering her.

My main saving grace is making her ice blocks where I use yogurt, bananas & some other fruit... and she will usually eat 2-3 of these in the days when she won't eat anything else. I think the cold numbs her gums & she loves that feeling. The other thing I have used when she's been sick & not eating is jelly. The Dr said to use it because it rehydrates them & she loves it too, it melts in her mouth so not hard to eat when they have sore throats or sore teeth.

Goodluck!

Lesley I'd the move could have upset Chloe we went through sleepless nights when we moved. Also if she has molars coming that will put her off from eat.

I now can only spoon feed Alex his breakfast everything else he wants to feed himself.

If your still worried in the next few days take her to the docotrs but i don't think there is much they can do other than to check she is not sick.

Give her a few days to settle into the new house also. Change always upsets then even more so when they are that age.

colleeg Guest

Lesley
    My DS has been excatly the same, obvioulsy there is somthing that happens at 11months!
    we have had food refusal, bottle refusal and sleepless nights! i have put it down to teething & his cold.

This last week has been so much better though, once the tooth came though he has been so much happier. I tried the frozen dummies that the girls suggested & he like juice.. so i have been just going with the flow.. DS favourite food around teething time is youghurt! easy to eat, cold and soothing and good for them!

Colleeg O

Maybe you could try leaving some food around the house for her to eat when she wants to eat IYKWIM? Just let her pick at it through the day. It may not be ideal, especially considering she used to eat when you ate etc, but at least you know she might be getting something. Maybe also the change does have her out of sorts a little bit (combined with the teething too). Everything is new to her ATM and she is just adjusting to her new surroundings I suppose.

If you are getting really worried about her, then take her to a Doctor, even if just to ease your mind if nothing else.

just an update

about 2:40pm Chloe started violently vomiting, I mean she was throwing her body and head back and forth with the flow and half choking on it.. (I went all shaky and started to cry seeing as my cousin just passed away from choking on his vomit)

anyway i panicked because she ahsnt eaten for 2days and alot of brown algae (sp?) textured stuff was comming up aswell..

I spoke to my friend and she rang her doctor coz i didnt know where to go or anything.. and got me an emergency appt at 330..
    chloe stopped vomiting 5 mins later when my friend arrived.

went to the docs she checkedher over.. everything was absolutly fine ( she was the best childrens doctor ever, the one in adelaide dr teh was good but she was even %100 better then him!!)
    so anyway she made me and chloe laugh alot andtold me not to worry about ehr not eating coz "your a fantastic mum, look how healthy she is,your doing a brilliant job" (huge ego boost LOL)

i have to make sure she has 10mls of water every 10minutes even if it means by syringe as shes a bit dehydrated, but to not worry bout the food for awhile yet.

if i get woried again she said not to hesitate bringing her in,or ring the after hours number, she said some mums do hesitate coz she knows what babys are like.. but not to and i said yeah im guilty i always panick they'll think im being paranoid.. and she said "any doctor who thinks that about a mum checking on the health of there baby needs a slap across the head" LOL

so im not as worried now, but hopefully she'll eat something soon, gunna try the leaving things out for her to nibble on as i read that sometimes they like that for independence which is chloe to a T..loves to do things herself, even though she does feed herself already apparently they like to thinkof eating as theyre idea not mums..

oh and im not alowed to give her any diary as shes not ready for it and then in a cpl of months slowly introduce it, and i have to water down her formula

anyway
    thanks for the advice and reading mylong updated post

Lesley

That's great that Chole is well and hopefully she will start to eat for you again soon.

Everytime Alex is sick i put one less scoop in than it says until he is better.
    Good luck when you start Chloe on dairy. I'm sure she will be okay with it in the next few months. The pead i saw last week about Alex said 20% of babies are not ready for dairy when they reach 12months but to keep trying them on it every few months.

Can Chloe not have Soy or lactose free products ? Sometimes they can take then okay if not dairy products. They do some great yoghurts and milk.
    One thing Alex is still able to eat with him being lactose intolerant is cheese.

Maybe she just wasn't eating because she did feel unwell Lesley. I can only imagine how horrible that must of been for you. What a fantastic Doctor though - definately keep seeing her I say.

I hope she gets herself well soon, and you are doing a great job Lesley =D>