Thread: Not gaining weight....

Question Not gaining weight....

Is it normal for little people to not gain weight when they start running round? I mean not gain weight AT ALL?? Below are his weights for the last year & I'm a little worried. He's gained only 1.5kg in an entire year, surely that can't be good? He has been walking from 11 months so for that entire time he's been a walker. Each time they were taken with a nappy only so it's not a clothing issue.

12 Months - 11kg
    18 Months - 12.5kg
    24 Months - 12.5kg

HELP!

Sarah - I'm certainly no expert but I think I read somewhere that they only gain a few kgs a year after they turn 1? Lucie was 8.8kg at 12 months and only now has hit the 10kg mark at 19 months!

If they kept gaining weight like they did as newborns they'd probably weigh as much as us by now.

Oh and make sure you compare height too - he's probably growing like a weed now, long and lean!

What did your ECHN say about it?

As far as I know, the weight gain really drops off after around 12 months when they start running around etc.

I don't think Milo has put on much weight at all since his 12 month weigh in, though he has grown 7cm so maybe I'll be pleased if he hasn't lost weight...

My mum reckons I was 2 stone for YEARS! LOL. I just checked the conversion, and it's 12.7kg

If he's otherwise happy and healthy, and still growing in length, I probably wouldn't worry too much. He probably burns it all off running around

Ok so how fast should they grow, cos I don't think he's doing terribly well there either?? only 3cm in 6 months?

12 Months - 76cm
    18 Months - 84cm
    24 Months - 87cm

Sarah i think it's normal for them to stop ganing weight so fast when they are on the go all the time.

At 18months Alex was 13.4 kilos and 86cm long and at nearly 2 he is 14.5 kilos and 88cm long.

Sarah, he is average for both height and weight, and they do slow right down with the weight gain once they are older too. I'm sure I have a info sheet here with the amounts they are supposed to gain, but I can't find it right now. His toddler belly might not be helping with gaining weight, but he isn't losing it either, and he is getting taller.

Matilda was
    11kg at 1yr
    12kg at 18mth
    12.9kg at 2 yr
    14kg at 2yr8mth.

88cm 18mths
    90cm 2 yr

I think he seems similar.

They all do different things... so try not to worry Paris was very much like Zander.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Maddy is 8 & weighs only 20-21kgs fully dressed & is a total short A$$!

Sarah, you (apparently double their height at 2yrs of age & it's their supposed height as an adult)
    When I did this I giggled thinking gosh she's so damn tiny, but when doubled she would be 1-2cms taller than me!! I soon stopped giggling!!!

A MCHN told me the other day it's actually at 2 years 4 months that you double the height not 2 years. Not sure the truth in that but hey, Lucie's a shortie atm so I'll give her the extra 4 months

Sarah - They certainly slim down but generally get taller during their toddler years, as you know Matthew has always been a heavy weight but he`s actually lost weight and is down to 13kg now (from 14kg) and has been for months but he`s got so tall, he`s now 94cms (22.5 months).

I have been told two stories on doubling height = adult height, one nurse said 2 years, the other 2.5 years, either way Matthew is going to be a lot taller then me (168 cms) and looks like he`s going to be taller then DH (189 cms or 6foot 3).

As long as he`s eating a good healthy diet which I`m sure he is.

Thank you everyone. Don't know why I stress about these things. You're very right there Sherie about his toddler belly thing, can't help can it.