Thread: Not interested in the breast for some reason

Default Not interested in the breast for some reason

Hi Girls

Julia is now 3 months old. Since Friday shes been not really interested in feeding off my breast im not sure why, she woke up crying and I changed her nappy put her on my boob and she kept crying wouldnt attach and I calmed her down tried again still no luck and again.. so settled her and put her back to bed then she slept so I figured she had a nightmare and wanted to go back to sleep she woke up again same thing happened but eventually attached to the breast so I was relieved as it was 3 hours since the last feed. Then Yesterday when we were out shopping I tried to feed her same thing happened. So had to wait until we got home to feed her so we left shopping and went home. She was fine attaching when we got home that was good but then this morning it happened again, I changed her nappy and put her on my boob and she cried and cried and not interested. Eventually I settled her and finally she attached. I am so confused I dont know what it is, we are not doing anything different at all, she is always breastfed every feed, I do top her up with formula as I need to as she wasnt getting enough milk from my breast to put on weight for 3 weeks in a row she always accepted both bottle and breast its only now its different. Any ideas girls what could be troubling her? She doesnt look like shes teething, her nappy was changed shes not hurt in any way..and I am calm not anxious so I dont understand whats going on have you experienced this?

Bel

Is it possible that you have AF on the way or maybe that Julia might be getting a cold? Kynan went through a short period of breast refusal when he was younger and had a cold (blocked nose & feeling a bit off colour meant he didn't/couldn't feed so well). Also, have a look at the ABA site for articles on breast refusal. They have some good suggestions there. HTH.

This is happening with me at the moment, Charlotte will feed on and off, it is very fustrarting though, I ended up taking Charlotte to the doc today as she felt hot and she has something at the moment, she could be coming down with something.
    god luck

Hi Angel - yeah have been bleeding for the first time since her birth started on Friday arvo on and off and still around today.. mmm. Tried to call ABA couldnt get through all day, so frustrating I have given up now, will look on their website thanks Angel.

Kelly - hello, is Charlotte ok? what did the doc say? I was at the GP this morning and she looked at Julia and said she looked fine and I got her weighed and she is putting on weight doesnt appear to be sick, but she didnt look into Julia's mouth or take her temp as the appointment was really for me and I didnt ask her to look in her mouth I should have now im kicking myself. Is it too early for teething I wonder? Do you give Charlotee a dummy? Julia has never had a dummy she does suck her fingers.

Bel

This is very common and the ABA certainly have good ideas. What has worked for me at various times - trying the other side, changing position (sometimes Tom likes to lie on my lap on his back and have me lean right over him), going somewhere quiet with no distractions, getting him to suck on my finger first for a while then try to attach.

Good luck, HTH.

Xander is like this too sometimes... I was told it is normal at about this age as they are so easily distracted. You could try taking her back to a quiet place to feed.

Yup - Tallon fussed about when AF came back. And that was around 3 months for me too. They also go through a fussy period around 12 weeks (developmental or growth - can't remember LOL) So it could be a combination. I'd wait it out a couple of days. It'll probably pass.

Belinda, I was going to suggest about AF too. Apparently the flavour of your milk changes with the hormones, so maybe that's it.

You will find that you will get quite a few restless or unsettled feeding periods over the time you bf. Growth spurts, teething, sore mouth, AF, you name it, it doesn't take much for bubs to become unsettled.

Big hugs to you. You are doing a great job and Julia will settle soon enough for you. Hang in there sweety