Thread: Not Liking "Placid Baby" Description

Default Not Liking "Placid Baby" Description

This is not a big deal - I'm just curious.

People often describe my baby as "very placid" and it gives me the irrits. I know they mean it in a complimentary way because she IS very calm and rarely cries but I guess I see her as a little person who is also actually quite active with lots of personality.

Has anyone else's baby been described as "placid", how did you feel about it and did you/do you feel that it's an accurate description?

Jack has 99% timebeen described as placid and I think its because nothing seemed tro faze him I have also been told he must be placid becuase jase and I seem calm in relation to him being upset

I took it as a compliment, jack too is active and lovley personality .........I would say thank you and not be fazed by it

Our Pip is often described as 'placid' as well - again, nothing seems to faze him, he investigates stuff and doesn't cry when confronted by a new situation ...

I take it as a compliment, they also call Pip "good" cause he'll stay in his pram while I'm at the hairdresser's etc ...

This probably doesn't help you much, but I would take it as a compliment. Both my boys are very active and I would love to have a baby who would sit still for a few miniutes. I am not sure I would personally use the word placid, but if I did I would mean it as well behaved and capable of sitting still, and I would be jealous that other babies are actually able to do that LOL!!

I've had my babies described as placid and laid back and then a few weeks later been told that they're really active and busy.
    I think that when people tell you that your baby is X, Y or Z it says more about their expectations/experiences of baby behaviour than it does about your little individual.

I think dachlostar made a good point. Some people expect babies to behave a certain way. TBH I thought all babies cried and cried until I had Rory haha. So I describe him as placid myself. His favourite song is ‘don’t worry be happy’ haha

I agree, I think that A) it could be taken as a compliment and B) it's describing the moment that they are watching him, doesn't mean he is always that way.

My middle child (4yo DS) has been described as placid... that could be just in comparison to my other 2 children though! yes he is more quiet and self contained... but he is not always that way! Children change, yes, he might retain a certain "composure" through-out his life but I agree with you that he is a lot more than just that simple (momentary) observation. Lap it up while it lasts... better than being called "disruptive, demanding" etc which many people are also happy to label children these days

Thanks guys. I think you're right that it also says a lot about people's expectations of baby behaviour. Reneeray - I was just the same as you and prepared myself for a baby who screamed all day, didn't sleep at all and projectile vomited all over the house. So having a "placid" baby is not at all what I expected and it's been quite surprising and delightful (touch wood).

People often remark on how calm we both are and I say to them it's like the chicken and the egg. Would I be so calm if she wasn't so 'easy'? Or is she just so easy because I'm quite calm? Dunno.

I guess I'll find out whether this is just a fluke if and when I have number 2!

People often remark on how calm we both are and I say to them it's like the chicken and the egg. Would I be so calm if she wasn't so 'easy'? Or is she just so easy because I'm quite calm? Dunno.

I guess I'll find out whether this is just a fluke if and when I have number 2!
    LOL- i say exactly this! And wonder about number 2. Fingers crossed! I'd have 10 if they all behaved like this one. I have heard many people say that they have a very calm baby, then the opposite and then a calm one again, it seems to alternate. Just another wives tale i am sure!

People feel like they need to say 'something'. I get everything from
    "Gee she's big" (50th percentile for eveything)
    "Gee, she's small" (as above)
    "Wow, she's placid" (She is a very relaxed baby, but like you say, chicken? egg? chicken? egg?)
    "Ooooo she's strong" (Average i would say!)
    "Oh, she doesn't roll yet?" (Ah no, but i doubt she will still be lying on the loungeroom floor when she is 18)

I have decided people are just trying to be friendly and interact, so i just smile and nod most of the time! Even if i disagree with their random statements!

Yep, every child you have will have a different personality... I've never seen or heard of a family of children all the same. My children have gone active/placid/active. But the two active ones are active in different ways. But then again my "placid" one has moments of activeness too. I don't know why people have the need to over simplify, I guess it's human nature.