thread: Not rolling yet - time to worry?

Dec 2005

Not rolling yet - time to worry?

Sam's not far off 4 months old... 3 months old if you want to stick to his corrected age. He's extremely bright and alert and absolutely loves to just sit and look at things. He's just discovering that he can hold things and putting them in his mouth is lots of fun. He's becoming much more vocal and is rapidly increasing the sounds he can make and is repeatings sounds back at us when we mimic them. I guess you could say he's doing all the normal things for his age...

But he doesn't roll yet.

He did it once when he was 9 weeks old - managed to roll from his back to his tummy and never again since. He doesn't even seem to try. Should I be worried? Is there much I can do to help him?

BW

Jul 2007
    melb

hun relax DS rolled a few time front to back at 3 months and no more till 5 and 1/2 months and until about 7 and 1/2 months didnt roll back to front!!

They all do things differently and in there own time and people are great at making you feel like something is wrong.

Nov 2007

I wouldn't be worried, Elise is a little older than Sam and she isn't rolling about yet.
    She has rolled once, but that's all.
    She is doing the same things as Sam also, discovering her voice etc.

Elise just loves to be carried everywhere or sit in someones lap so she is rarely on the floor for more than 5 mins. She will roll when she is ready, more like, has the motivation, wants something out of reach
    Sam sounds like he might be similar.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

DD1 was similar age to Feeb's byron when she rolled too!! nothing to worry about!

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

milo did not roll in any direction til 5.5 months.

Dec 2005

Sam and Elise do sound very similar! He's happy on the floor for short periods - but he's happiest when he's up on someone's lap and able to see the world. Strikes me as more of a thinker than a mover...

I guess it's that awful comparison thing - you hear of babies doing things much younger and you start to wonder what's wrong with your child that he's not even trying. I guess I should just be thankful that it makes nappy changes easy... but it's something I worry about with him having been slightly premature.

BW

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

My Matilda started rolling back to front at 6-7 months old and then front to back at 9 months although she rarely does this, she is still learning at 10 and a half months, she has only began to sit in the last few weeks also, she has come along alot in the last week with her sitting though. She still is nowhere near crawling. Just means she is going to be my baby for longer .

They all reach their milestones at different ages, I know it is hard not to worry but rest assured, he WILL role, when it is his time to.

Add Beautitude on Facebook

Feb 2008
    Adelaide SA

Lachlan is a bit older than your bub and he isn't rolling either. At one stage he was rolling front to back quite regularly ( but I think that is because he hated tummy time so much), but he has even stopped doing that. I am getting a bit worried about it too. Although today he rolled onto his side for the first time so maybe he is getting there. Its hard though when you hear of kids younger who have started rlling and yours hasn't. I keep telling myself he will do it in his own time, we dont call him lazy lachy for no reason!

Add Marlene on Facebook

Jul 2007
    Dapto, Illawarra...NSW

BW...I wouldn't worry at all hun. Jack didn't roll from tummy to back till 4.5 months old and from back to tummy till 6 months, and he is just fine! You saw how he was getting around at the last meet up. His is now walking constantly and trying to RUN, lol, and he's only 11 months.
    Babies will all do things at different ages and it's nearly always "normal".

Jan 2009

I wouldn't stress, like everyone's said, she'll do things in her own time, some bubs even skip certain parts of development.

My friends bub is 7 months today and she is walking around stuff (did a very impressive backwards somersault when she lost her balance yesterday) - which I would say the books say is way too early. But that's what she is up to in her journey.
    Last edited by Floweryfields; April 13th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Apparently I never rolled - I can now though so I wouldn't worry too much hun.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Tallon didn't roll until about 7 months... 2 days before he crawled. Enjoy being able to plonk him on the floor and him not go anywhere!

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

M was 6 months when he rolled!
    Last edited by ~Raven~; May 10th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.

Mar 2007
    on cloud 9.....

Arabella has only just started to roll. She did a one off here and there from about 4.5 months.

Oct 2007
    ★ nor here nor there ★

Nakita rolled from Front to back @ 3 weeks... we think this was only due to the fact that her head was heavier than the rest of her body, she hated being on her tummy and it was just a momentum thing

She stopped from 5-7 months old and started tummy to back again.

She has never rolled from back to front, not even once, I have given up, I think she will be more likely to crawl before she rolls

She is now 9 1/2 months almost 8 months corrected

StephV Guest

I was told they start doing this at 4 mths and with prems, you have to go by corrected age. So you have another month to go. Also the MCHN just told us that some don't roll until 9 months, she also said that some babies do something once, you tick it off the list and they never do it again. So don't worry if you get a once off

Nov 2007

Sam and Elise do sound very similar! He's happy on the floor for short periods - but he's happiest when he's up on someone's lap and able to see the world. Strikes me as more of a thinker than a mover...

I guess it's that awful comparison thing - you hear of babies doing things much younger and you start to wonder what's wrong with your child that he's not even trying. I guess I should just be thankful that it makes nappy changes easy... but it's something I worry about with him having been slightly premature.

BW
    Yep, I've got a thinker too , I am enjoying it as much as I can, cause my first was a mover, and once they start they don't stop.

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

Agreed ... with dd all I wanted was for her to start rolling, crawling, walking. Now being a full two years wiser I am hoping he stays "grounded" for as long as possible hehehehe

Don't worry hun, enjoy what he is doing today and stop worrying why he's not doing what other babies are.