Thread: not sleeping between feeds

Default not sleeping between feeds

my 4 week old has recently started to be awake between feeds for longer periods. e.g, she feed at 8am then stayed awake relatively happily until 10am, this is when she would normally feed again and she did seem hungry. is it ok/normal for this to happen, no sleep between feeds. luckily it hasnt happened at night yet! she slept for about half hour from 10am, then fed and was awake until 12. i am a little concerned that she isntgetting enough sleep.

Totally normal......in my experience anyway.....and if she is happy, she'll feed well.....or fall asleep at the 2nd feed and have a nice long sleep if she needs it?

angelfish Guest

Hi Hollo, congratulations on your precious little daughter
    Please don't stress too much about the "Feed, play, sleep" routine that is commonly recommended. It does work for some babies, but many others have all different routines (or no routine at all) and they almost all grow into happy and healthy children. We almost always fell into a "Feed, play, feed, power nap, more feeding, sleep-if-we-were-lucky" sort of thing. Also their total sleep requirements vary a lot. I have read that babies "should" sleep up to 20 hours in the 24, but I have never yet met any baby who slept that much. My first child slept maybe 15 hours in 24 as a newborn, my second never slept much more than 12 hours. As long as she's healthy, she will sleep as much as she needs to (although it may well not be in a pattern that suits you!).

beastie Guest

yes, thats normal
    when needs to sleep she will.

when my son was born he didnt sleep from 8am until 11pm. that was NOT funny
    when he became 6 month he began to make a midday sleep

Hi!

I can only suggest to go with the flow. I nearly drove myself crazy trying to do what the books/mchn said was right. Now when I look back at my diary my bubba was just doing fine it just wasn't what was expected of him iykwim? As long as bubbas happy then it's all good.

Shellbabe Guest

my ECHN said as long as they are resting it is fine.

Charlotte will not sleep quite often - but I will not stimulate her during this time as I would play time - she goes into her pram or cot and just lies there. If she hasn't slept I will get her up when she gets grizzly again - usually because she is hungry.

I agree go with the flow!. I even had a mothercraft nurse come to my home and tell me to only feed Kaitlyn every 3hours and 45mins ..I mean seriously come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Drove me nuts trying to get her to fit into the "newborn routine" and everyone told me "that is seriously not enough sleep for a baby her age" .....but they know what they need so dont stress...just follow her lead. It will keep changing all the time anyway

Cass

Why do all the mchn do that?? Surely they should be taught that each bubba will do things their own way. Grr - Life would be so much less stressful in the early days for 1st time mums if they just explained that. Makes me cross because you end up doubting yourself when you shouldn't.
    I found as well the more I doubted myself the more I would talk to people - friends and family - for their opinon and would end up with the worst advice ever....

Quote Originally Posted by Krisvee
    Why do all the mchn do that?? Surely they should be taught that each bubba will do things their own way. Grr - Life would be so much less stressful in the early days for 1st time mums if they just explained that. Makes me cross because you end up doubting yourself when you shouldn't.
    I found as well the more I doubted myself the more I would talk to people - friends and family - for their opinon and would end up with the worst advice ever....
    AMEN SISTA! I totally agree!!! I was so stressed cos Darc never had more than about 6hrs in 24. Finally around 11-12 weeks I chilled out and let her do what she wanted that she chilled too - now she sleeps 12 hours overnite and 3-4 sleeps during the day. They don't know about time and routine. Their instincts are still primal. They are still getting used to the world. Hollo if she's happy - who cares what anyone says she should do?