Thread: Is it ok to give cows milk and formula at seperate feeds?

Default Is it ok to give cows milk and formula at seperate feeds?

Hi there,
    Just wondering as Dom is about to go onto cows milk soon whether it would be ok to start weaning him onto cows milk now,and keep giving him a couple of bottles of formula a day until i have weaned him completely....
    I was just thinking about starting off with one bottle a day for a few days to a week or so and then upping it to two bottles of cows milk the next week and so on...
    It is just one person i was talking to said that their pead said that it is not good to give them cows milk and formula even at seperate feeds and you should wean them completely at once....
    Its just i still have a tin and a half of formula to use up before he weans and i dont want it to go to waste or anything...
    Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Pietta Guest

We did the exact thing you are thinking of for Ryley- gave him a bottle of cows milk in the morning after breakfast just so he could get used to it to start with then started giving him milk for morning bottle then increasing it. He is really big and healthy so it didnt do him any probs at all

Colleen Guest

Jaykob has formula and cows milk, he seems to want 3 cups a day so i give formula in the morning and and night and cows milk in the arvo, because I weaned him from boob to formula only 2 weeks ago, (he still has boob at lunch sometimes) to get him used to milk, (he was refusing all types of milk, so i used the vanilla formula)

Now im switching from the formula to cows milk.

Im not sure if its good or bad, but i couldnt see why?

Colleen

(i hope all that makes sense lol)

Hi Suzie

I can't see any problem with that

Thanks so much everyone! You have all put my mind at rest about it a lot.I can remember with the others that i think i did this,but that was before my friend said her pead told her not to give them formula and cows milk even in seperate feeds...
    Well it is starting towards to end of the month,so i will start him on a bottle of Cows milk in the mid- morning tomorrow...
    Thanks again!