Thread: Older children in prams

Kellee Guest

Default Older children in prams

Hey everyone,

Recently I have seen a lot of older children in prams, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on that. When do most people stop pushing their children in prams? I haven't really given it much thought, but I suppose that by the time they're about 5 or 6? I really don't know... Just curious - it won't be a while until I have to worry about that!

Hey Kellee,

I found that my kids were happy to be out and walking by around 2, 2 1/2. Sure there are times when the pram makes things easier, especially if you have a runner (i've had 2) but generally they will protest and not walt to use it.

There is no way I'd still be pushing around a 5 or 6 year old. For one thing how heavy would it be to push and for 2 I think it would just encourage them to be lazy. Just my opinion of course, no offence to anyone that pushes their child at that age.

Take care
    Trish

Hi - my daughter was a bit of a bolter at the shops and I think I kept her in the pram until about 2.5. After that I used the car trolleys at the big shops or put her in a normal trolley. But at 3.5 she's over that too !

Now trips to the shops are done very slowly or at night on my own !

Prams don't take much more than around 18 or so kilos anyway, do they ?

This makes me think of the pictures of shane warne and his wife pushing their kids around in the stroller that have been on the news. Maybe they need one for a quick gettaway ?

Barb.

My girls at 3 would protest loudly at having to go in the pram cos they were "big girls." Id imagine lots of older children would feel embarrassed still being pushed in a pram...thats just me though :-k

Jo

Kameron is 3.5 and I can't remember the last time he went in a pusher 'cept for when he rolled his ankle at playgroup and I had to carry lachlan home so I could push Kameron cause he couldn't walk to well. I don't think he has been in one since Lachlan was born and that was when he was 2.5, and prior to that it was a stroller not a proper pram.

At the shops etc he just rides around in the trolley or gets out and walks. Thankfully he has never been one to take off if he does walk, or if he attempts to we just tell him to wait and he'll only get about 3 steps.

Love

Pietta Guest

I have stopped pushing Ryley in the pram already!! He sits in the trolley with me!! LOL

I couldnt imagine pushing a child over 2/3 just coz of the weight of them!

I do think it looks lazy/strange when a large child is being pushed in a pram...

We definately still use the pram in the shops, but to do groceries the trolley the best spot, unfortunately Matilda's learned how to undo the velcro strap at Woollies and can climb out #-o

Kimberley is nearly 2½ and will still go in the pusher but she also likes to walk.

Well I had Jemma when Josh was 3 and a half and it was prob no pram for him by the time he was 4. Jemma and Jess share the limo atm and I envisage needing it until Jemma is also about 4, otherwise I don't get anything done. After she turns 4 I am going to buy a cheap single stroller for Jess cos she will be Jemma's age now. I find they get tired too and that's when they play up, and I don't always have a trolley everywhere we go. But I haven't pushed a child over the age of 4 in a pram.

Cheers Michelle

I am hoping that Aidyn wont need his pram much after the age of 2.5/3. It would make catching public transport a lot easier for me (although I surely will be able to drive by then anyway! )
    Also if I have another baby in the (sort of) near future, I dont want to have to buy a double pram...

Sorry Kellee, I had to come in and say 5 or 6!! Holy scamoly!! That's school age! If you've seen 5 and 6 year olds in prams then maybe they were autistic? I know of one child who was pushed in a pram till he was that old because he was severly autistic...

Tanya

Kellee Guest

That's ok Tanya - I thought it was odd too! I just have a friend who has gone walking (fast walking) with her 5 year old in the pusher and her 1 year old in the sling. Thanks for all your ideas... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bit old - I just didn't want to say it because I thought it might offend some people.

mooshie Guest

well jay was in a stroller up until lani was born so 4 1/2 yrs lol.

when we went walking he always rode his bike or scooter, but if we went shopping to a big shopping centre like chadstone or something i would always give him the option of stroller or walking it was great that he chose the stroller as i could get things done alot quicker and he was so good i would just get him maccas or something and i could relax looking in shops I WAS INTERESTED IN not just the toy shops lol. i did say to him what was going to happen when the baby came along he said he would just walk which he does but things are a bit slower now and he wants everything lol i try and do stuff for me when he is at kinda.