Thread: OMG sooooo embarassing....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default OMG sooooo embarassing....

Elijah (now 19 months) has his t's and f's mixed up. So, it's not train, it's 'fain'. And it's not truck, it's... well you get the picture. It's happened the last few weeks when all was fine before, then all of a sudden it's changed. He says it so matter-of-factly, everyone thinks it's hilarious bar me and laughs at him and I am worried he will see it as a joke. My brother for example will keep giving him trucks and asking what it is, only to wet himself with laughter afterwards. Thank goodness Marisa is past the 'it's funny' stage and has been really good saying the right words and being serious about it. Shame some adults don't have the same level of behaviour!!! But I do feel like such a bad mum when we are out, he just blurts it out and I could dig a hole.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Aaah Kelly, I have BTDT *lol* and I share in your embarassment. My brothers are the same too, must be a boy thing. Thank god they grow out of it is all I can say.

Melinda Guest

Ooooh! Priceless! Very funny indeed!

But as a Mummy, definitely NOT funny!!! It's hard when other people respond to it by laughing because then they think that what they are saying is not only right, but funny too and they'll keep it up!!!

My brother did the same thing and mum used to say it like Tee-ruck (if you can follow that). She said it worked after a while.

I did hear of a child who used to ask for her "f***ing knife" - the parents had to teach her to say "knife and fork" instead. Maybe lorry is a better word than truck right now?

I am going to be such a bad mummy about this - my DH is already mad at me because I tell him that I can't understand him unless he speaks English to me - so Americanisations are out, saying "somefing" instead of "something" is out... I think I'm just mean. But mean with good elocution!

I know exactly how you feel Kel..I've been there and corrected it. But when it comes to brothers trying to make them say things , I have the same problem but with my brothers it's them teaching my kids how to give ppl the bird!

LOL Matilda somehow mispronounces fish... and sh*& comes out instead... its funny until you are at the IL's & she points to the picture of a fish & says it loud & clear. We always say back "Yes Matilda, F-I-S-H" very clearly but many people laugh and she thinks she's saying the right thing... urgh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn-Frog
    I am going to be such a bad mummy about this - my DH is already mad at me because I tell him that I can't understand him unless he speaks English to me - so Americanisations are out, saying "somefing" instead of "something" is out... I think I'm just mean. But mean with good elocution!
    LOL.. I'm the same! My pet hates are somethink and anythink.. and I had when people say it's the letter Haytch. Ugh.

My DH is ready for the elocution lessons with Tallon.. LOL. I must have got it from my dad.. he wanted us to speak properly and pronounce words correctly. (Must be a pommy thing? )

But I've known of a kid that used to say fruck for truck. That was funny enough.. let alone them using the actual word!

ETA: LOL.. Ryn - My dad came from Sussex!

Hehe it is pretty common actually - my mum used to babysit kids and she would say "yeeess TR-UCK" just like Christy & the fish!

I had to chuckle myself but I can see how that could be embarassing.
    I am sure he will get the hang of it soon.
    I like the idea of trying it is tee-ruck.......
    Boys will be boys and find it amusing though