Thread: Oral Thrush that just won't clear up

Default Oral Thrush that just won't clear up

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall with this, I just don't know what to do. Olivia has had oral thrush for months. And yes, I do mean months. I feel like such a bad Mum because it just won't clear up. I started with Nilstat drops, but she would projectile vomit, so switched to Daktarin Gel. She still often vomits after that too, so TBH I wasn't really giving it to her as often as I should have because I hate to see her vomit so much.

Anyway, as of last week I thought I really must get serious about getting this sorted out. My guilt factor is SO high. So the pharmacist said even though I don't have symptoms, I need to treat my nipples (feel like a goose for not working that one out myself). So I am now using Canestan cream twice daily. I hate doing that as I feel that she must still get some of it in her & that can't possibly be good right? And I am putting the gel in her mouth 4 times daily. But in 5 days it still looks just as bad. I really don't know what else to do! Does anyone have any advice? Has this gone on for a long time for anyone else?

Hi Linda

Daniel's oral thrush went for about 4 1/2 months. I had no idea that is what he had until the CHN told me.

I have photos of him with his mouth open as a new baby just after having nilstat and he has a gross, horrible yellow tongue. Daniel was also on the Daktarin Gel. I'd coat his dummy and just let him suck it off. I found that neither of these worked at all, so - to be honest - I just stopped all treatment. I did this because his mouth wasn't sore - it just didn't look great. If his mouth had been very sore this may have been a different story.

He never threw up on either of these, but that alone would have been enough to stop me.

I thought that I would give his body a go at killing off this natural affliction. We all have thrush, it's just that our bodies are properly equiped to keep it under control.

After about 2 weeks - it just disappeared and is now just a memory. In fact, I was so used to him having it, that I didn't even really notice that it was gone - weird, eh?

CatherineL Guest

We can't seem to shake it either Linda... We've had it since week 1, which is no where near as long as you - but it's still annoying. If you're worried about her getting the cannisten in her mouth, why don't you just use the daktarin gel on your nipples too? That's what my Dr told me to do... Plus i just started taking 'inner health plus' religiously until this clears up. I too really need to buckle down and start applying the gel four times a day to Rochelle.

THanks girls. Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one in this situation.

ER - like your bub, Liv doesn't seem the least bit bothered by it, which is why I think I have let it go on so long. She doesn't seem upset by it at all. And I have since read that thrush on the nipples is extremely painful, and I'm not in any pain at all.

One thing I think I will try is to limit my sugar intake. That's probably a big problem. I eat far too much sugar & that may be stopping things from improving.

In some Asian countries they wipe with a wet clean cloth the tongue. I have no idea if it will help or not... I just know that is what a friend from Thailand did with her DS & it went away../
    But also my SIL said she wipes out the mouth from the white stuff? So I am guessing she meant oral thrush..? Zyon is the ony one of our kids to have not had it at all (so far).
    But a few days of the oral gel & both girls were gone, I have never had thrush either even though I breastfed Indah..? But I still put the oral gel on my nipples after each feed!?
    But both girls were crying due to the trush, hope it goes soon...

Yeah, sugar will feed it as it is a fungus. So, that's probably a good measure.

Don't panic about it. Like I said, one day you'll just look in her mouth and it will be gone.

PS. Thanks. He has just learned to "commando" crawl in the last two days. He's off and in to EVERYTHING. It's like a beast has been unleashed. It looks like a really exhausting way of getting around though. I reckon if I tried it I'd have a six pack!!