Thread: Panadol Suppositories for toddlers...

Default Panadol Suppositories for toddlers...

I was having a chat to a friend the other day about how hard it was to get Aidyn to take medication when he was sick, and how he would spit it out, refuse to drink bottles that I mix it into, etc, etc.
    And she suggested Panadol Suppositories....
    What are everyone's thoughts on this?
    My intial reaction was no way, I dont think I could do that....
    But my friend insisted that in hospital that is all they use most of the time. (dont know if this is true or not?)

But lastnight and today Aidyn has a high fever and I am having a nightmare time trying to get him to take anything for it!
    He is spitting out the Panadol straight away, and it is such a waste (I have now ran out of it as well!)
    He wouldnt drink the bottle I mixed it into, or eat any food I mixed it with.
    So my last resort is actually pinning him down and forcing it into his mouth and I then have to hold his mouth open so he cant spit it straight out. I HATE doing that to him, and its so traumatic for the both of us.
    So I have been thinking that suppositories may be a less traumatic route to take in the event that he needs medication, and is refusing to take it.... what does everyone think? Have you used suppositories on your child before?

Hi Ambah

I have used suppositories many times on children and babies.
    It is actually a good way to give mediccations. It acts quicker than oral medications, there is no bad taste, It does not seem to worry babies but older children dont usually like it too much.

Panadol suppositories need to be kept in the fridge. Make sure that you use water based lube. It can take a little practice to insert then because when you use lub they can become very slippery.

:wave:

Hi Ambah!!! Hope you are well & Hope Aidyn gets better soon!

I have used a glycerine suppository on Jasmine, but only for when she was badly constipated.

I was so scared, but it was so tiny. I felt relieved once I opened the packet and saw how little they were.

It didnt bother her one bit, I think it bothered me more than her. I just laid her down flat, then pushed her legs up towards her stomach, clearly saw where it needed to go and then did it. Easy as. Oh and I also put a bit of baby oil on the 'designated area', just to make it easier lol

I didnt know Panadol came in suppository form, but if I had to, I would use it for sure. If Aidyn needs it and you cant give him Panadol in liquid form then definitely give them a try. If you are anything like me, you will be surprised at how easy it actually is, compared to what you think its going to be like in your mind. If that makes sense? Good Luck

Our GP gave a supository to Eliza when she had a raging temp and was vomiting. I never knew that they existed either, we bought some but I tried to administer one the next day and had no luck. I think I need a lesson from someon in the know. It was painless and almost an instant solution. Good luck Amber
    Bec

hi ambah, working in accident and emerg i used them on babys and children with very high temps, but i know that the children's hospital is now not using them as frequently. i have given one to oscar when he was vomiting and had a very high temp with an ear infection but would not give it to him for any other reason. if you are not careful you can perfurate the rectum and it can cause unnecessary trauma to the child. hope this helps
    beckles

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone.
    As it stands DP is rather against me using them, as when he was a child he was sick in hospital for a long time and has horrible memories of having them used on him. He was a lot older than Aidyn is though.
    I would also be concerned about doing some damage, so for that reason I dont think I'm willing to use them unless its 100% necessary.
    So I guess for now I will just have force his medicine into his mouth, and hope that he becomes a bit more accepting of it sometime in the near future.

He's even at the stage where I cant give him Brauer teething relief (which he used to LOVE) just because it comes in a dropper similar to all the other medicines. So I also have to resort to get him to take it by tricking him (I will put it on a spoon, and pretend I am about to feed him some yoghurt, and spoon it in instead)