Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 28

Thread: Peanut allergy??? Responses needed!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    House of the crazy cat ladies...
    Posts
    3,793

    Default Peanut allergy??? Responses needed!

    Because Aidyn turns 2 in one month I thought it would be ok for him to have a smidgen of the crust of my peanut butter toast this afternoon.
    Well within 5 minutes of having it he has developed a little bit of a blotchy rash around his mouth.
    What do I do??? Do I just keep an eye on him? Or so I rush him off to the Drs... all their offices are closed now (its just gone 5.30)
    It is likely that he will develop a more severe reaction in the next few hours??? Does anyone know???


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in a house!
    Posts
    6,125

    Default

    ambah i would take him to a doctor somewhere.

    you are better off being safe than sorry

    even the er would be apprropriate

    its something i would never take the chance on

    good luck!

  3. #3
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    Is there any swelling at all of his mouth or face? Is he having trouble breathing?

    I would probably take him to a doctor or the hospital just to be sure though, it's something you simply can't risk.

    ETA-I'm pretty sure though if he were to have a sever reaction it would have been immediate, that's why kids with severe reactions have to have injections on them at all times.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    Definately, if the Dr's office is closed go to the closest ER. If anything to make sure that it doesn't get worse.

    Usually the rash happens around the mouth and then swelling can set in, so not to scare you too much but if DP isn't around, phone the hospital to get their advice. I have often phoned the mater childrens to find out what I can do.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in Brisvegas :)
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    Ambah, it sounds odd but perhaps try calling Poisons' Infoline? If they don't know, they might be able to direct you to someone who can help?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    Ambah, all I really know is allergic reactions in animals, and when dogs have allergic reactions usually the first one is mild, the second a bit worse, and the more it happens the worse the reaction.

    If this is an allergy to peanuts its best to have it defined straight away. If he doesn't have reactions to things that have "traces of nuts" he may have a mild allergy. But IMO its worth defining for you to know your boundaries.

    There is an children's form of clarentyne which is an antihistamine which can help with mild allergic reactions, or any antihistamine. Maybe phone the hospital and then if they suggest an antihistamine go to a chemist?

    I hope he settles quickly & its only really really mild.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Ambah, it sounds like good advice to go to the casualty section of the hospital. It can't hurt. I would hate for anything to sneak up on you in the middle of the night.

    I hope everything is okay for you and Aidyn.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,222

    Default

    What a scary thing to happen Ambah. How is he now? Have you taken him to a doctor yet?

  9. #9
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    How did you go Ambah? Is Aidyn ok?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Seems like she may be still there with him... hope Aidyn is ok!

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    out and about
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    I agree, hope Aidyn is Ok, and its a really good idea to take him into medical help somewhere, as my sister has a severe nut allergy, it starts with the rash, then an itchy mouth, then her tongue starts to swell, then her throat closes up.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    I've just SMS'd and they are still waiting at the hospital but he seems fine.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    House of the crazy cat ladies...
    Posts
    3,793

    Default

    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for your responses...

    Well... after ringing the hospital and being told that they legally werent allowed to give me any advice over the phone ( :fuming: WTF is with that???)
    we went off to the late hours medical centre.
    Firstly the Dr was just going to send us home with some antihistamines, as his rash/hives were beginning to clear up, but he then rang the hospital to double check, and they told him to advise us to come into hospital.
    So thats what we did (with DP kicking up a stink the whole time that it wasnt necessary...)
    So DP left me there to wait with Aidyn, and it took 2 hours until anyone saw us anyway.
    Anyway the Dr just confirmed that due to that reaction then Aidyn definately has a peanut allergy, and its hard to say how severe the next reaction will be, so I have been given a script for an Epi-Pen to use in case of anaphalaxis...
    While we were there she gave him some Phenergen and another antihistamine which I cant remember the name of atm...

    So far he has been fine eating any foods with trace amounts of peanuts in them.... it was just the peanut butter that seemed to push it over the edge.
    However because the allergy can develop from accumulating amounts of peanut exposure, then whos to say that next time he has something with even trace amounts in it, that he wont have a reaction.
    The Dr gave me an action plan to follow... and now I just have to be extra vigilant.

    Anyway, I am so exhausted now... am going to go to bed!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    awww Ambah I'm glad you went to get help, how exhausting. *hugs*

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chasing Daylight...
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Ambah how frightening for you. I'm so glad to read he's ok.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in Brisvegas :)
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    {{{{{{{hugs to Ambah & Aidyn}}}}}} Glad to hear he's ok and hope we can catch up sometime today!

  17. #17
    Tigergirl1980 Guest

    Default

    So glad to hear that everything is ok with Aidyn. Does anyone in your family have a peanut allergy? Or allergies to any foods? If not boy will I be careful with peanut butter and other highly allegic things. Huge for you and Aidyn.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Ambah, I'm so relieved everything was fine. At least now you know about the allergy so it will be easier to deal with. Those Epi Pens are a godsend.

    Hope you can get some much needed rest today - you and Aidyn. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •