Thread: persistant diarreah

Default persistant diarreah

hi everyone.. this has probably been written about before but i just spent a good hour searching and couldn't find anything... soo....

ethan's got diareahh! it started last thursday when he wasn't his usual chirpy self and all of a sudden threw up all over me. more throwing up throughout the night and then a big explosion (don't know how else to word it!) in his nappy in the middle of the night.

i caught it... DH caught it... and then my brother caught it. we're all better now and he's STILL throwing up. we've taken him to the docs a couple times where he suggested different things like elektrolyte fluid... lactose free formula.. heaps of fluids... but he's still sick.

i've changed all the sheets, washed all his bottles inside out, washed all his clothes but to no avail... what am i doing wrong? it's so distressing to see that he's on the mend and then a huge vomit again all of a sudden..

any ideas?? thanks in advance....

Dana we went through a similar thing with Kameron. He had non-stop gastro for 4 weeks when he was about 10 wks old. Went to paeditricians and all but everything was just coming up as a virus. so we just had to put up with it. Thankfully though we never caught it.

Love

Dana - Oh you poor thing! I have never had this myself but it sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. It probably just needs time to go itself. Hope little Ethan is feeling better soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You have to be so careful with gastro - they can go downhill so quick. Marisa caught the rota gastro virus and was hospitalised and even threw up the tube feeds. It was horrible. Keep taking your baby to the doctor to get checked up as it can be very dangerous for little ones.

Check out our gastro article: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...and-your-child which has warning signs to look out for.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Dana,
    I know when Aidyn has had gastro it took over a week for his diarrhea to stop completely...

As Kelly said, keep taking him in to be checked out at the Drs if things aren't improving.

I hope little Ethan is feeling better soon, it must be really hard for everyone

Matilda's diarrhoea lasted 3 weeks. The GP had me feed her easily digested foods like jelly & things like that to help her stomach recover.

Matthew had his for 10 days and what it took was no dairy/solids for 24 hours after his last vomit/poo then slowly introducing weak milk and loads of fluids.

Matthew is 13 months so its different I guess for a 4 month old? Sorry I haven't been through that one.

ohmygoodness! i have never so happy to change a dirty nappy! hehe..

ethan did a couple of small but definitely more solid poohs yesterday. he's slowly becoming his chirpier self and i thought we were well on the way to recovery... until...

he threw up just before bed time! it would've been a good hour after his last feed and he was just lying tummy up on the bed. i just don't understand. i'm thinking now that his poohs are back to normalish, maybe i should change him back to his regular formula as it's clear that he doesn't like the lactose-free one. what does the lactose do exactly?

it sounds like from everyone else's experiences.. i guess this sort of thing just needs time for recovery. poor bub... he gets such a confused face when all this gunk is coming out of his mouth.

on a different note, does anyone know how you go about washing toys that say they shouldn't be immersed in water (besides a simple wipe down)? i want to just chuck them all in the washing machine to give them a good cleaning as he puts them in his mouth a lot.

btw, that's a really helpful and informative article, kelly. wish i had seen it sooner.. thanks!

HI
    When Hannah had gastro our Dr over here prescribed Slippery Elm powder for the diahorrea as well as colostrum to help her tummy repair itself. Maybe you could try a naturapath or similar if your Dr doesnt use these - they helped Hannah.

Good luck!