Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Stations

Debbie Lee Guest

Default Petrol Stations

I haven't needed to yet, but I just had a question about when you fill your car up with petrol.
    Do you leave the baby in the car while you run in and pay or do you take the baby in with you?
    I know they say to never, never leave a baby in the car but is it worth the hassle of taking them out and strapping them back in when you are going to be so quick?
    What do you do?

I would always gtt petrol at night when paris was a baby, so that Marc could either do it or watch Paris so I could. Otherwise find some Pay at Pump Petrol stations that way you can just pay with a credit card. Now that she's older its easier to just take her in with me. Personally though I wouldn't risk it. But my philosophy is if you wouldn't leave your bag/phone/wallet in the car then don't leave your kids you can replace your stuff your kids on the other hand

*hugs*
    Cailin

Forgot to say, BP Caltex & Mobil are the only ones that do pay at pump but you may need to ring those in your area to find out which ones do it exactly.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Debbie I agree with Cailin I wouldn't risk it. I have this terrible fear of something catching on fire while at a petrol pump and not being able to get Alana out of the car :roll: I know, what a terrible thought to have. I think its from watching to much Oprah! LOL! She always has these shows about things that happen like that. I get Frank to get it.

Gotta say I'm guilty of leaving my DD in the car if I couldn't get to a pay at the pump station. I have central locking for my car so would always lock the car and keep an eagle eye on it. For the short amount of time I was in there, I was comfortable leaving her within sight. Obviously if she was crying before we got to the petrol station, I'd get her out and comfort her.

Cheers,

Rachel

Debbie Lee Guest

I think I would definitely get her out of the car depending on the suburb I was in at the time - how snobby is that?? LOL
    Like I said, I have yet to need to put petrol in the car yet but I think that I will go with your idea, Cailin, and fill up when Neil is home to watch Gabby. It's all about trying to be more organised, hey?

I always leave Kimberley in the car and lock it i even lock the car of it's just me on my own.

Some of the petrol companies have a thing on their website where you put in the suburb and they will tell you of any nearby servos with pay at the pump or driveway service. I'm not keen on leaving Kaleb in the car, so I go to these ones.

Debbie Lee Guest

Shannon - that's a good idea - driving the car to the parking bays right outside the door. I thought about that too but I always wondered if they would think you were trying to drive off without paying. I guess they don't!

I'm with you on not leaving kids in the car during summer. It can get so damn hot even with the AC on!

i dont think i will be dragging jackson in and out of the car every time i get petrol. i will just be driving to the front window of the servo, and locking the car where i can see him, i have central locking so no chance of locking keys in car, and if it is a stinker of a day, i will just leave air conditioner on. i have a new car, so the air conditioner is icy cold.

Like Cailin, I always wait till I can pop out by myself without Olivia to get petrol.

In the darwin heat there is just no way you could leave a baby in a car without the air-con on, and obviously the air con can't stay on without the keys in the ignition, so for me, it is just too scary to leave her in the car.

We have no "pay at pump" servos, and even if we did, you still need to switch the ignition off to fill up, so just for the 5 mins of filling up it would just get too hot.

We do have an old servo where the man comes and fills up for you, which in theory is great, but same problem.....air con goes off becasue the car ignition must be switched off, so same hot baby issue!

Even if I take her out with me to pay, it is a hassle, but I'd rather do that than leave her.....

So, I always do it without Olivia.............it needs some pre-planning, and I sometimes have to remind myself by writing a note on the fridge, but worth it for the peace of mind..........

Debbie Lee Guest

Yeah... I guess having a new car would make it a little easier.
    Our rusty old XF Falcon doesn't like having the AC on unless we are going at least 80kms on the highway, LOL. Thankfully the heater is good tho and Gabby will be much bigger once summer rocks around again.

Who would have thought that working at a servo would come in handy ? Not me! I work in one so I get petrol after work most weeks.

Before that, I took Caitlin in with me for about the first two years. It's easy with one, I don't know how I'd go taking two in.

Barb.

Scarlett Guest

I have been avoiding this situation as like Lucy said it just gets too hot here to leave them but it would be such a hassle to have to pull them out. My main reason however is that I am sure some old woman will yell at me for leaving her in the car even for a few moments and I don't want that to happen.

I roll the front window down and central lock her in to pay, only if there isn't a queue... but the majority of the time DH goes and gets petrol at night after Matilda's asleep to avoid it.

I hadn't thought about this before.

Hmmm I think I would get Aaron to get petrol or do it while both of us are in the car. I don't think I could leave Alexzander in there by himself - but there have actually been cases of cars being taken with kids in them from petrol stations in Sydney.

Oh I forgot to mention why... right now Matilda's going through a new phase of throwing tantrums when being strapped in anywhere... so she goes stiff, purple and screams while we try to strap her in the car seat (often with my head out of the car reminding myself to breath!) so to avoid the 10-15 minute scream fest with people watching, I leave her with the front window down and locked in.

No wonder you leave her in the car Christy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast