thread: Physical Culture - frustrated vent.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Physical Culture - frustrated vent.

Mods - please move if need be, wasn't sure where this fits.

So DD1 (3.5) started physie last term. When she started, i wasn't convinced it was going to be good for her being that there is 12 kids in the class when she began. I stuck it out for the term to see if DD enjoyed it or if they were going to provide any more direction as DD struggled with it - the movement, becoming distracted etc.
    This term she is VERY slightly improving but now there are 18kids in the class (3/4yr olds).
    I spoke to the teacher today about this and she assured me she is going ok. However, when i asked her about what happens when she turns 5 (august) i was told that at the begining of next yr she would be moved up to the 5/6s. So even though she'll be 4 for the majority of the yr because her birthday is in august. She'll be in a class and having to do competitions with kids who are 5 and 6! To me this isn't fair. She will be 4 for the most part of the yr! I have watched a 5/6 class and they provided even less direction that they do in the 3/4s and there is no way my DD will cope with that.
    So i think that has sealed the deal for me, i need to change her sooner rather than later.

And so the search for a new dance class begins..... anyone in western sydney know any good ones????

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

That's not right. The variation in fundamental skill development in those two age groups are HUGE! Seriously, it's a massive natural developmental difference. I'd be looking at somewhere that catered more for skill level as opposed to age level.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Grrr why are dance class age cut offs sept but school is july?!!??!
    I can't seem to find one (based off what i'm reading online) that is skills based!

I don't want to set my child up to fail or feel like shes not as good as others.

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

My DD was thoroughly enjoying classes run through a group in kings wood (all star I think)

She did tap, jazz, ballet. We only stopped as her father wouldn't take her on his weekends and she was missing far too much (and we also moved)

My dd started in a class of girls who had been together for ages and the teacher (and children) were wonderful in teaching and helping her.

Good luck - id love to let dd dance again but it's just no feasible right now

Jun 2009

Unfortunately it's just life. When I used to play sport I was competing against girls 51 weeks older than me. Makes a big difference when you're a child. My theory: get her into lawn bowls, curling, table tennis or any other obscure Olympic sport ASAP and you might just have an international star in the making.

Hugs though. We all want our kids to have the best possible chance and it's frustrating when 'the system' prevents it.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Unfortunately it's just life. When I used to play sport I was competing against girls 51 weeks older than me. Makes a big difference when you're a child. My theory: get her into lawn bowls, curling, table tennis or any other obscure Olympic sport ASAP and you might just have an international star in the making.

Hugs though. We all want our kids to have the best possible chance and it's frustrating when 'the system' prevents it.
    1 yr I could accept, but a 4yr old and a 6yr old competing.... IMO that's not right.