Thread: Pillows and doonas, what age is appropriate?

Question Pillows and doonas, what age is appropriate?

Just a quick one...

DS is now 10 months old. At what age is he allowed to have a pillow and use a doona/quilt?

id keep them out as long as possible!
    sophie is almost 18 months and has neither

DS was around 18 months when we gave him a pillow, and that was because he had a bad cold and having his head raised helped with the congestion. He didn't get a doonah until he moved into his big bed at just over 2 years old.

The official reccomendation is 12 months.

We put a Cot Quilt in DD's cot when the nights started to cool off here (after her 1st birthday). We tried putting her in her sleeping bag but she cracked it - it was too restrictive in her mind. The quilt keeps her warm and lets her "roam" in the bed.
    We are yet to introduce a pillow but I am thinking about it. Actually, we are going to do it - I just keep forgetting to buy the pillow when I go to the shops!

HTH

MG

Harrison got a doona not too long ago, but has had a pillow for some time now. He loves it and won't sleep without it now.

Darcy never had either in her cot, but when she decided she wanted to sleep in a proper bed at 16 months I bought them for her then.

Liv actually attached herself to a cushion as her comforter at around 18 months and started sleeping on it so it wasn't really our choice at the time. I also found it was useful as at the time she had a few colds. As for the doona we had some cot quilts and as someone else said - they started being used due to the cold weather and she hated sleeping bags. I think it's one of those things that you just have to judge for yourself (and usually wait until after 12months is recommended). You will probably find bub will start to want to have something like a pillow eventually just cos mum & dad do! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by livyloosmum View Post
    You will probably find bub will start to want to have something like a pillow eventually just cos mum & dad do! :-)
    This is how it happened for our DD, she started off playing on the pillows in our bed 'going nigh-nighs' so we went shopping for a junior pillow and she has been using this ever since, she has also started using any cushion or pillow she could find to put her toys to 'bed' so we figured this was her way of telling us she was ready.
    next hurdle is getting her to sleep under the cover of her cot quilt

We didn't give Aidyn his pillow (a junior one) or doona until he moved out of his cot at age 2.

ds has had a pillow from around 10mths ... i know its not the right thing to do , but as other mums have said , he had a few colds and keeping his head elevated helped .. we put stuff under the cot to keep it raised , but he would move the cot til it tipped off the phonebook !!

no doona , he is a a whirlwind in the cot and doesnt lie still so he prolly wont get a doona for a long time , the pillow is quite flat , and i got it from target ... but god help me if i wash it .. i think he likes to smell the funk

Chelsea has a pillow, from around 13 months. No doona though, but will in a few weeks once she moves into a single bed and out of the cot.

Thanks for all the replies ladies. There seems to be a no real rules when it comes to pillows. I only ask as we've had DS in with us for a few days now with a really bad cold and I've woken a few times in the night to find him on my pillow. I might try and hold off till he's over 12 months.

Seth had a pillow at 2, when we took the side off his cot and turned it into a toddler bed. He still doesn't have a dooner just heaps of blankets, will probably give him a doona when he's in a big bed