Thread: Planes + newborns

Cool Planes + newborns

Me and Izzy are going for a holiday to Tasmania (from Qld) and i havn't decided weather we are going to drive or take a plane... The drive would take 3-4 days as we would be taken it slow - and although izzy loves the car, i don't know if she would handle being in it for so long...

The other choice is a plane trip, whihc i think is like 3-4 hours... But i have no idea if bubs allowed on planes this early (shell be a month old when we go) and where does she seat, and is the altitude (sp?) alright for her lil ears...

Which do you think would be better the drive or flying?

Either would be fine at this age, they sleep so much that it wouldn't really matter. The only issue I'd see with driving is that it's not good for their backs to be in a car seat for extended periods at a time. Planes have little bassinets for babies so just make sure you get a seat with one. With the ear popping thing, just make sure she's being fed or has a dummy during take off & landing, the sucking helps so she should be ok.

i read that babys shouldnt fly till they are 6 weeks old, something not quite developed enough to handle the pressure change - maybe ear, or inner ear.
    And like Sarah said, give bubs dummy, feed etc on take off and landing. My sister flew Melb to Perth when her boy was about 7 or 8 weeks, and he was fine. No probs at all.

ETA - how do you drive to TAS?

mum2bee
    hehe - u drive to melbourne n get on the barge- that takes u over to taz...

When Chelsea was 3 weeks old i was going to fly to my mums. First i called Jetstar then Virgin Blue and both told me babies have to be over 6 weeks old. SO i said oh my child would only be 3 weeks and i was told they cant stop me traveeling with them, but i must have proof of her age to make sure she is under 2 years old...i mean WTF?? As if you couldnt see a pretty much newborn isnt over 2!!

But yes.... to sum up they will let you fly but make sure u let them know Izzy will be 4 weeks old. Ears are normally ok. A feed or dummy helps.....

Chels is great flying, has her dummy and is normally asleep before take off...and wakes 10 mins before landing!!

Another question... Can i breastfed on the plane or would it have to be express... Im so new to this... i wouldnt have a clue lolz! And do they let u take prams and carseats on too (not in passanger part but the luggage part)

Yes u can BF on planes... theyare very welcoming of it. Prams go in baggage as do car seats....but check with ur airline first how much u can check in asu may get charged a fee. Infants dont get any baggage allowance as such except a pram/car seat/bouncer etc. This is what ive been told by the airlines and travel agents.....but check for yourself.

Most airlines have an infants section on the home page with further info too.

Goodluck!!

A material sling would be a great thing to aide breastfeeding on the plane! I travelled from PERTH to SYDNEY with my son when he was 4wks old and he did great, just fed on take off and landing and slept in his sling the rest of the time. They will give you a mini seat belt that clips onto yours and then around baby. I just put it around the sling while he was in it on me.

I def say fly instead of drive!

Personally I don't think that big of a trip regardless of it being a drive or flight is suitable for a newborn bub. Its so tiring for them to be lugged around everywhere. I'm not trying to start a debate, just my honest opinion.

BUT if you HAVE to go, I would seek the ok from a medical professional that a baby that young can handle a plane trip. Not just the word from others who have done it. I would opt to fly over drive because a baby that young will sleep alot in the car & you could risk missing feeds because baby is asleep so why stop to feed just yet. So you would run the risk of baby becoming dehydrated, your milk supply suffering etc.
    How long do you plan to be in Taz? what are you doing there, visiting family or seeing the sights?

Can the trip be put off till bubs is a bit older?

It would depend on who you fly with I guess & what "class" your ticket is for but virgin & jetstar only have the seatbelt thingy that was mentioned above. No extra seat for baby under 2 yrs. You hold them.
    Also my last experience on a plane was with a 1 yr old. it was a 3 hour flight & was with virgin. I was sat right up the back, so my seat didn't recline at all, I had no over head compartment because those ones were for staff so all of my baby bits where a few seats down. I was right near the toilet so I was BFing & would have someone basically leaning against the side of my seat while waiting for the toilet to become free. the reason I was sat there was because I had a baby (under2) & it was near the baby change toilet.

If your going to fly with a young bub, make it more comfortable & pay for a decent "class", trust me.

thankz for your opinions all opinions welcome...
    I was seeing my doc before we went anyways...
    going to taz to visit family as my mum will be moving down there...

2weeks

yupperz!!! me n my mum r very close so me n my lil sis!!! gonna miss em like crazy

Cass, I did trips with Olivia when she was a newborn, from Darwin to Adelaide and Darwin to Sydney. The bassinet for babies is only available on certain planes (usually an international flight on a domestic leg, if that makes sense?) so don't rely on being able to get one.

Caro and Fiona make interesting points. I'd go with your gut on how you feel about it. For me, I was always totally comfortable at taking my babies out and about from birth onwards. Each to their own, of course!

For me, if anything, it helped me establish BF more, LOL, because it made me more confident in my ability, and it was the perfect way to keep Olivia totally content the whole flight (4 hours approx).....if she was awake, she was feeding, otherwise she was asleep on me. (I used a sling).

I also had to do a number of domestic flights between Adelaide and Kalgoorlie with Lexie as a newborn, for a funeral. Same deal: feed or sleep!

I have always encountered nothing but help and support from the airlines (usually Qantas or a small regional airline).

Do check with a Dr though, if that makes you feel more comfortable?

thankz lucy...
    personally - i love taking blob out an about~ shez such a good baby n loves the car! n i havnt found bf to be a problem... i think i would go crazy with boredom if i stayed at home...

I don't think its essential to stay at home, just avoiding trips out all the time.
    My life doesn't stop after having a baby, there is still shopping to do, other kids to take to preschool etc. But I do think trips to the shops, visiting friends etc just for the hell of it is a bit unfair on bubs. Like I said its tireing to be out & about, in & out of the car, pram etc. Being passed around for a cuddle etc. I definately notice that my babies have been more cranky & unsettled if they have had a busy day. I try & stay home for acouple of days in a row if I have had to go out, like shopping.

All I am saying is it should be limited.