Thread: Porta cots

Default Porta cots

we are going away for new year, DD will be 8 weeks by then, and we will need to use a porta cot, should i start putting her in it to sleep to get used to it? or will she be none the wiser? i'm concerned about the mattress feeling very different from the bassinette, any advise appreciated.

tiggy Guest

I think putting her in it, maybe through the day, is a good idea.
    We did this before we took it down to the in laws and it seemed to work.
    Have fun going away.
    I also took familiar sheets and familiar toys with us, so it felt more like home.

We took Danielle on her first holiday when she was 3 months old and used her porta cot. I put her in there only once before we went for a day sleep but she was fine for the 3 nights we were away. I did take her normal blanket, sheets and her Pooh light so it felt like home. Since then she has stayed the night at my Mum and used it again and it was fine again. She haddn't used it since that long weekend.

I would set it up and give her a couple of day sleeps in it like Tiggy suggested but I think she'll be fine.

Jesse sleeps in one when i go to mum and dads. He slept in it at 3 weeks and then again last week at 11 weeks and he was none the wiser.. he slept as he usually did. Perhaps if you use music or something as an aid in sleeping that can help to familiarise her but yeh i never had a problem with Jesse.

i wouldnt think at that age they'd notice the difference.
    i'd just take the bassinet:P

I think that the portacot matresses are a bit hard so put in a lamb skin.

I have an extra layer of padding on my portacot matress, you can also get matresses specially for portacots that are not as hard as the tine ones they tend to come with.

We put Milo to sleep in his in the day for a few days before we used it when we went interstate, and he was fine. He probably slept as well, if not better than he does in his cot at home.