Thread: Portacots

Default Portacots

We are looking to buy a portacot for DS before we go on holidays in a few weeks. I'm not really sure where to start. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good portacot??

According to the Choice website, only 3/10 passed their safety tests (which makes me a bit concerned). I don't want to spend heaps if I don't need to - but I want to buy one that is safe! I'd prefer one that is lightweight too (many of them seem to be around the 9kg mark).

DS is over 9kg, but is not yet sitting up. DO you think I would be able to use a bassinette attachment for him? or are they only for little bubbas?? (He sleeps in a cot at home, raised up to the higher setting).

Also, is it possible to get one that you can wash? I've seen ones where the side rails are so grubby, but they don't come off for washing.

Hi Ezz, I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try to help! I sell pre-loved baby goods so I have seen a lot of portacots come and go. I find Steelcraft make a great portacot, they seem really safe and sturdy and lightweight. Also Mothers Choice and Babyco (their own brand) are great ones that aren't too expensive. I don't know how they rate with Choice, but I think they are pretty good.

The bassinette attachments are usually only suitable for up to 6-8kg so it is worth checking the recommended weight before buying one. I have an Esprit portacot which I love (though it is fairly heavy) and I naughtily still use the bassinette attachment because I have a bad back and it is easier for me to reach my DS in it.

I have never seen a portacot with side rails that come off to be washed, they may make them, but I have never had one come in. They usually get grotty from where you put your hands to set up and put down the sides so I suppose you should make sure you have clean hands before using it! Also, if you pick a dark colour it won't be as noticeable. I take portacots outside and wash them with warm soapy water and let them dry in the sun.

Anyway, sorry I'm not much help in answering your safety questions! I thought I'd just give you my personal opionion. Best of luck picking one you are happy with! (Don't forget you can actually hire portacots if you don't want to buy one )

Hi Ezz
    I can't answer all of your questions either but I just wanted to say that I have one from babyco and its pretty light. Also it has 2 wheels to make it a bit easier to move if you need to.I also use the bassinette for DS. Its much easier on my back although he's around the 6kg mark.
    You can also but a fitted sheet which has a little extra padding in it from babies galore. Bub can't get stuck or anything as the matress slips into the sheet.

i hate portacots ... so darn heavy ( i have an esprit one too ) and ds never liked them .... so mine was a huge waste of $$$ kmart has one on slae for $60 , i would get that , if it wasnt safe they wouldnt sell it and you save $$ if bubs hates it and ends up on a matteress or in bed with you !!! ( thats what happened here ... ds is on a matteress ..)

I have the Graco Delux Pack and play portacot. It is quite heavy though weighing in at 14 kgs. I love it. It's set up in my room atm for Abbey to sleep in. She was gettting too big for the bassinet but I wasn't ready to put her into her own room just yet so have put up the portable.

It has a bassinet in it that Abbey is using right now. It has a nightlight on it. It vibrates and plays either music or nature sounds. It has a change table attachment for it as well as a removable shade and toy bar.

I just have a baby love one we got from Target as we hardly use it anyways. We mainly use it when we go camping and for use on the beach

it isn't anything fancy and I just put down an extra cot doona to soften the mattress as they are quite hard. you can get a mattress made up for it from clark rubber or a baby store,, I think you just take in the measurements..

I have a mothers choice one which is great and was only $79

Ooh Nic, please be careful about adding to a portacot mattress. I read this horrible article today about this little boy who suffocated because his parents added a mattress on top of the ortacot mattress. He got stuck between the mattress & the side of the cot.

i have bought two portacots from e-bay (for 2 grandparentts houses).

one 2nd hand, one new. both great.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Ezz View Post
    Ooh Nic, please be careful about adding to a portacot mattress. I read this horrible article today about this little boy who suffocated because his parents added a mattress on top of the ortacot mattress. He got stuck between the mattress & the side of the cot.
    I won't use one that isn't specially designed for a portacot for that very reason. but you can get them made up so they are a snug fit.. I do know the baby shop here said they get foam or something similar cut it to the right size and there is no risk of suffocation.. But we opted not to do it as we don't use it enough

We have a Graeco one as well and have been using it for 2 years - DD sleeps fine in it. We have also had a mulititude of other babies and toddlers use it when they have come to stay as well. Once you figure out how to put it up and down (takes a couple of goes to get this dialled) it only takes a few seconds to set up.

It has the bassinette part and also a change table which goes on the top and a nappy holder at the end. These have beed really useful funnily enough. I think we got ours using our FlyBuys Points.

Thanks everyone for your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    i hate portacots ... so darn heavy ( i have an esprit one too ) and ds never liked them .... so mine was a huge waste of $$$
    I've got a few friends who have had similar experiences to you - who have ended up using the portacot as a playpen! That's why I don't want to spend much money on it!

I've been offered a Steelcraft one today by a friend. It's got a bassinet & changetable, so we'll see how that goes.

Trish, thanks for your opinions about the Steelcraft ones. Personal experience is always welcome I think DS is going to have to go in the bottom of the cot - he is much heavier than 6-8kg! My back is not great either - I might have to get DH to put him to bed while we are away! I hadn't thought of washing the cot outside. I'll give that a go this week (hopefully this one will be a dark colour - I haven't seen it yet!)