Thread: Is it possible to have a baby that's too quiet?

Default Is it possible to have a baby that's too quiet?

Last night we went out to dinner... I will freely admit that it was a fairly busy and noisy restaurant.

Two tables up from us was another couple with a baby in a pram... I had no trouble at all hearing their baby when it was upset.

But Sam right beside us in his pram... I could only tell when he was upset by keeping the blanket we use to block the light off the pram and watching his face. I simply could not hear him at all!

Should I thank my lucky stars that it's not going to be my baby annoying everyone else? Poor thing was so overtired by the time we left as it was just too noisy for him to sleep, but we never actually heard him cry - could only tell he was crying by the facial expressions.

Yes, we do need to turn the volume on the baby monitor up as sometimes his cry just isn't loud enough to wake us without amplification!

BW

I had 3 of them! DS used to sleep so well that I would ring my mum and ask if I should wake him

A friend of mine has a boy the same age as my DD, he never slept well and didn't stop crying as a baby whereas DD was calm and content and slept all night. She used to get quite upset about it.

Everyone is different and so are our babies. Whether they are quiet or not we love them just the same.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on what to look for ie. facial expressions and what that means he's feeling so no, I wouldn't be concerned.

FWIW, DD was a very quiet baby - didn't cry very much at all. But boy, she's making up for it now she's a toddler! So enjoy it while it lasts.

I think that's what I'm a bit afraid of, fionas - that he'll make up for his quiet start later on.

I'm also struggling with the guilty feelings of just how long was he upset before I checked on him and saw that he was upset because I couldn't hear him.

BW

hun it may have merely been seconds he was upset - you don't know, so no point beating yourself up about it - he's fine now, and that's all that matters. one blip on an otherwise great start to life won't hurt him - i KNOW you take great care of your bubba!

FWIW - bro's eldest (now miss almost nine) was a quiet baby - she rarely even cried - she just never felt the need. when she got a bit older she found her voice and now you can't shut her up! she's currently sitting in the chair across from me in the lounge talking to Homer on the game she's playing on the PS2 - but she's a great natured kid and has been a brilliant help. she's going home tonight after dinner but to be honest, i think i'll be sad to see her go - she's been so sweet and just a really great kid to be around (so Fiona, there's hope that the noisy toddler will quiet down again as she gets older!)

I don't think it's an issue at all - lucky thing!! I guess though when your baby is much older - say around 10/11 months I would be concerned if they weren't babbling but not about the actually volume as such. Most families would be jealous of you!

You know how some people just have quieter voices than others? That'd be my guess - that Sam's just got a quiet voice
    Oh, I understand your mummy-guilt, (unwarranted as it is BW!) though. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Sam knows you still care!

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly_warrior View Post
    I think that's what I'm a bit afraid of, fionas - that he'll make up for his quiet start later on.
    Oh they do. DD - who was so quiet and slept through from 3 months - can't shut her up. Worse, she yells everything!

She didn't bother talking til she was 2 as well so if this is 'another presentation of normal' for parenting, it may be something to look out for.

I think the worse thing I had was when Pip got a virus and actually lost his voice, I put him down for a nap and he was crying for a bit, I didn't realise until I came in and saw him screaming, it didn't get picked up on the baby monitor.

So I guess I'm saying that you get used to your baby, you pick up their cues and work on them, that's what being a mumma's about *hugs*