Thread: Premature size twins

longbow007 Guest

Default Premature size twins

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has had first-hand experience with premature size twins. Our twin girls were born at (twin 1 - 1.88kg) and (twin 2 - 2.34kg) (eight-weeks ago) and are doing fine. They are both being breast fed and topped up with formula. They are both putting on weight and growing in physical size. At the moment they are both on 2-1/2 to 3 hourly feeds.

I was wondering (given all babies are different) approximately how many months it might take before our twins may extend their times between feeds? In other words when does the constant feeding slow down? Twin 1 is now 2.7kg and twin 2 is now 3.2kg.

We have no parents or relatives to help. We also have an active 3yr old toddler to look after so we get no respite.

Any actual experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Longbow007

Hey longbow.

I have six month old baby sisters and they were born @ 33wks gestation weighing 1.60 & 1.67 kg (now weighing about 6.2 & 6.3 kg).
    Mum is also still BFing and topping up with formula annd from what I've seen it still looks like constant feeding.
    When they wake up they have a breastfeed, a play and then a bottle (OMG they're so tiny I don't know how they drink so much!!). I think they average 4 hours between feeds now and almost 12 overnight.

But, that said, because they were in SCN for six weeks, they were in a 4 hourly routine when they came out.

I can imagine it must be hard with a toddler as well, mum has my 16 & 11 yo brothers as well and they hinder more than help!

GL, hope it all improves for you soon.

Welcome to BB & congrats on your twin girls!

I don't have any answers for you, but you may find the NICU/Premature Babies section helpful. The link is here: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/nicu-premature-babies/

Hopefully you will find some useful info there or someone there may be able to help you

longbow007 Guest

Thanks Cookiemonster & trish for your replies - greatly appreciated

longbow - i cant help with the premie side of things but DD was born 2.6kg (5lb13) full term and she feed 2 hourly during day and then 3-4 hours overnight until 3 months then i cut out night feeds and she still fed 2 hourly during day until 7 months when i weaned her.

hey there
    congrats on your twins
    my twins were born nearly 10 weeks early and weighed 1402g and 1800g. They fed 3 hourly till they were 6 months old day and nite!!! They were on full EBM for all this time and then introduced solids at around 6 months as well. They then started stretching out to 4 hourly.
    HTH and hang in there!!
    odette

No idea about twins or premmies, but Oliver is almost 5 months and feeds 2.5-3.5 hourly during the day still. Any longer between feeds and he wakes up at night hungry (I've learned that the hard way) so I always offer around 3 hours if he hasn't looked for it before. I don't think 3 hourly feeds are unusual for BF babies until solids are introduced.

longbow007 Guest

thanks PinkPalace, odette and leebee81 for your comments - really appreciated

Your Welcome