Thread: Premmie - 34 wk gestation

Default Premmie - 34 wk gestation

Just hoping people can give me some info. It appears my baby will be delivered at 34weeks gestation due to a placenta issue (low low papp-a) so just wondering if anyone has experience in what to expect eg. breastfeeding, length of stay in hospital etc I'm currently 27weeks.

Hi Bridee...

My bub was delivered at 33+2 gestation. He was in hospital until 37wks (although they said he will be in till term). I had to express EBM which they fed him by tube. I think the sucking reflex comes in at 36wks. Initially we tried attaching him only once a day then gradually built that up. It wasn't until a few days prior to him coming home that the tube was removed & he was on full suck feeds.

It was a trying time, though you do what you have to to get by.

I wish you all the very best. I was praying to get to 34weeks but unfortunately didn't make it.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat.

My DD was born at 35 weeks, via an emergency cesearean due to placenta issues. It was not an easy time for us. After being discharged i was fortunate enough to stay at the hospital as a border mum but was switched around different wards (wherever they had room) My DD was born with immature lungs so was on CPAP to assist her with breathing, they gradually turned that down and she was breathing on her own. She gradually moved cribs in the Special Care unit which was a sign she was getting better. The nurses in the Special care unit are amazing at what they do. I expressed milk every 3-4 hours so they could tube feed DD.. though i never had enough so they would also gave formula (with my permission) I used the electric breast pump available at the hospital.
    I cant begin to explain the emotions i experienced as we are all different. Be strong and remain positive, cry as much as you want if you need to. The stength my DD had at birth amazed me. Remember that while gathering information, every ones situation is different. You know that ur baby will be born early, so the doctors will prepare your baby and you for this as much as they can. Take each day as it comes and cherish each moment. Good Luck

My bubba was born 34+3 weeks. She was a bit growth retarded, but otherwise there were no problems with her. She was in NICU for just shy of one month. They usually stay in NICU for the duration of normal gestation. So in your case ... 6 weeks. If they are a nice solid weight (here it's over 2kg) before that time and there are no other complications ... they go home a bit earlier. But prepare for about 6 weeks.

Shots for you You get steroid shots to strenghten their lungs ( I got two ). Not as bad as it sounds, but needle non the less.

Prepear yourself for expressing breastmilk (hire a breastpump .. double ...), going home without a baby and LOOOOOOOOOOOONG days at the NICU. Ask questions, if you still don't understand, ask again. Your best friends are going to be the nurses at the NICU ... ask them loads of questions, even if you think it's stupid or not worthy. Knowledge is power. Have a tour of the NICU before hand.

Ask about special CPR classes that you need to attend. We had to attend these classes before they were going to let dd come home with us, but we did not find this out until about a week before she came home and I had to rush throught the course.

Ask about support groups for premmie moms at the hospital. Information seminars that are free to attend at hospitals.

Gee .. there are so much I could tell you ... but my mind is stuck.

Goodluck!!! I also hope you make it to 34 weeks

Oh yes!! Thanks Mez ...

Ask your dr to give you something to help get your milk flowing ... drink lots of water and try to rest once you are home from hospital.

Hire one of those monitor thingies that the baby sleeps on that has an alarm that goes off if the baby stops breathing ... it just put your mind at ease and make that you are not up every ten minutes once you are home. You will need your sleep.

Do as much kangaroo-care as possible ... not only are it great for bonding in the begining (when you are not yet bf'ing) it also helps them grow better.

Our little Charlie was born at 28+6 weeks and is now home, doing amazingly well!
    It all comes down to breathing, if they can conqueur the breathing early then the feeding etc is much easier. I assume you are getting lots of steroids for bubs lungs, which will definitely help with that.

Take heaps of photo's in the first few days, because they grow and they grow fast and soon you won't be able to remember how small they were.....we put a stuffed monkey in with Charlie and it's now his 'growth chart', he was the size of it when he was born and now it's about 1/4 of his length..

The journey is long, it was absolutely without a doubt the hardest thing we have ever done, but remember a premmie journey is unique so try and capture the moments while you can. If you can breastfeed, push for lots of help and opportunity and kangaroo care ( skin to skin cuddles )is the best thing you can do for your bub. Get cuddles every time you can, even if you have to ask for them from the nurses, sometimes they forget how important they are.

We were in hospital for 10 1/2 weeks, mostly trying to get his breathing sorted as he didn't get steroids before he was born ( in too much of a hurry, little monster ) but babies come home when they can suck feed and breath on their own. If you make it to 34 weeks, you are in great shape. Every week makes a huge difference....

Good luck, we are crossing fingers that bub stays in there and gets cooked a little more.....

my twins were born 35 weeks.

we were told that the earliest we would be allowed home is 37 weeks. they came home 37weeks 2 days.
    caleb didn't breath on his own for several hours and both were very jeorndas (sp?) but within days they were putting weight on,tube fed at first bottle feeding within a week and full breast feeding within 2 weeks. i chose not to breats feed at all in the beginning as the top nurse said that the babies who breast feed too early tend to spend longer in hospital as they don't gain as much weight as fast as pushing a bottle into them. and neither of my boys had problems attaching within 2 days of sole breast feeding they were having no problems.
    I duel expressed both at home and in the hospital every 2 hours and the duel expressing gave me a massive supply, i recomend it. i rented a pump it was soooo much better than the one i already owned. they will probably give your baby a special formula aswell i think they can mix it with your EBM its extra fatty and helps bubs to gain weight.

we have no issues and they are bigger than my full term boy was at this age.

its a had time as the others said they send you home and you make the trip to the hospital daily spending all day there and i know i felt giulty leaving but its good to rest during that time as much as you can.

good luck sweet, you will be fine, your bub will be driving you nutts in no time, and you will love every second of it.

xoxo