Thread: Pulling at ear

Default Pulling at ear

Cooper started to pull at his left ear over a week ago. He seems to do it more so at night. I had started swim class that same week, so I thought it was an ear infection, but I went to the doctor, and after checking it, he said there was no infection.

I asked him if it could be teething, but he said no. He said that it would be both ears.

He doesn't seem majorly stressed by it, but can get whingy and pull at it when I am trying to settle him during the night.

Because it has been going on for a while now, I am starting to think it is teething, or could it be something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think its teething - its the right age, but would get another opinion on the ear infection to be sure

my jess does that and only on one side when teeth are moving that side. And Yes, they get terribly whingy and grumpy when teething and when they pull at their ears

Was speaking to my MCHN about this very issue on Thursday as Alexander has started to do it too and there is definitely no ear infection. She said that it could also be a developmental thing ie like discovering their "bits", once they find different body parts they like to play and tug at them. I wouldnt be too concerned unless he really seems in pain.

Yeah my DD always pulls at her ears when she is tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabysmum View Post
    it could also be a developmental thing ie like discovering their "bits", once they find different body parts they like to play and tug at them.
    I've heard of this too. Does he seem distressed? Ears can be fun to play with...

Milo does it a lot when he is tired. Its hard not to want to get him checked out for an ear infection every time though (and I usually do). It does happen with teething as well, and its rarely on both sides at the same time.

NewmumLou Guest

Same thing was happening to Josh and yes i too was told "nahhh couldnt be his teeth" the next day a tooth broke through! So i guess it is his teeth!

It sounds like he could be tired, or teething...or even an ear infection...May even be water from the pool making his ear feel strange? I would personally get a second opinion from a different doctor...

Riley has been doing this for a few weeks now and has just started pulling both instead of just one. I thought it was teething but no teeth so I think its become a habit for him.

It is almost ironic that after all this discussion about why they pull at their ears and me saying "that it is developmental" that Alexander woke up with a new tooth this morning after playing with his ears this past week! So I would definitely say that it is related to teething!!!

Mummahol Guest

My son does that constantly when he is cutting another tooth. It all began around the four month mark and he is still doing it at 12 months. I have his ears checked regularily and he is given a perfect bill of health every time with the doctor telling me "he's teething"