Thread: Putting weight on legs

Question Putting weight on legs

We have been talking about this in the April babies thread. Basically saying how some babies have taken a liking to standing on our laps while we hold them. One person said that their CHN said that you shouldn't do this until they start to pull themselves up by themselves (i.e. about 8 months) as it can damage their joints etc.
    So i was just wondering if other people had heard this too and anyones opinion on this because Abbey loves to stand up and holds her weight really well but i don't want it to be damaging her IYKWIM
    Thanks

I've never heard that before, but I don't know...I don't understand how it could damage them.

I've heard that those Jolly Jumpers shouldn't be used for this reason, but my friends that are physios and occupational therapists didn't have any issues with letting them stand and support their weight. Lucy loves it when I hold her up and almost pulls herself up if you give her a start!

coco loves being on her legs. I have had her standing in my lap for months. I haven't heard it's bad for them. Hopefully not!!! xo

I have also heard this through MIL and a Nurse . However Kaitlyn was always standing from so early on and she is fine.

I've never heard of this either. We used to do it all the time with Lily and there's nothing wrong with her.

I've never heard of this. Just like with every developmental milestone they will bear weight at different times as well. Lindsay was 12 weeks old and could bear all his weight and bounce up and down all the time, but the girls were a bit older before they would do it. Plus, it is not like they are doing it all the time IYKWIM? and I always regarded it as strengthening their leg muscles, not damaging them.

My MCHN said its OK to pull them to standing, by just their arms, from around 5 months.
    In fact she was surprised that I wasn't doing it.
    She gave as a worsheet from the physio with exercises to do, and it was on there. You do need to be sure your baby is standing flat footed, i.e. with the whole foot on the ground, and obviously that he/she is ready for it.

With the jolly jumper, I think its more that they can bounce up and down on their toes only, which isn't conducive to optimal development.

Milo loves standing, being held by me, and 'bouncing with delight' he he thats what they call it in the developmental assessments!

Sal Guest

A baby that isn't ready to bear weight on his/her legs, won't! So if your bub wants to 'stand' up, that is fine. Miles was born with very strong legs (could bear his weight almost from birth). I've heard of this old wives' tale (also the tale goes that the child will end up bow-legged) but there really isn't anything to it.

I remember people telling me that if I kep letting Emma hold her weight she would be 'bandy legged'. So of course I asked around madly & came to the conclusion that if it was going to hurt her she wouldn't be doing it. She absolutely LOVED to stand while I held her hands. Now she is pulling herself to standing position all the time & I definitely think that helped her strengthen the right muscles for it.

littlerigger Guest

ryan pushes his whole weight up already. as someone else said, the jolly jumpers are bad because they encourage them to only take weight on the toes, same with walkers and this can slow down the child actually walking because they get confused about needing to take the weight on the whole foot.

I can't see how they could be standing anywhere near long enough to cause any damage, if indeed it did.
    The only damage I can see happening is bruises on your thighs from strong little toes digging in as this is what happened to me from time to time!

Thanks eveyone for the replies.

I'm glad to see I am not the only person who hadn't heard of this before. I too thought that it would help to strengthen their legs, and she likes it so much that i really didn't want to stop. She always stands flat footed so that bits ok.

Lmao about the bruises...wouldn't be surprised if i found some too.

I might have to ask the MCHN about those physio exercises you have rayray.

Thanks again