Thread: Question for mums with sons

Default Question for mums with sons

Just a question, Matthew has woken this morning to a very red and swollen tip of his penis. I panicked straight away and thought its time to go to the doc's. They don't open till 9am and I've checked it twice since then and also done some net surfing. From what I can gather this can be quite 'normal' for a type of nappy rash and if it goes any longer than a few days then off to the docs.

First check and it had gone right down and was a little red. Second check and nappy change and it had became red and inflamed again. I am putting paw paw ontiment on it.

What do you guys think? Has this happen to you? Should I wait to take him to the docs? He doesn't appear to be in any pain but a bit clingly more than usual but maybe he is reading my stressed out vibes...

Hmmm if it was me I'd take him to the Dr just to be sure.

Lachlan can get this at times although doesn't usually swell, and will go away after a day. Basically like a nappy rash. There is usually no other change in his behaviour. With Matthew being clingy there might be a UTI, as Kameron also had a red tip when he had developed a UTI, I didn't know till he peed a couple of drops of blood.

If unsure defintely get him to doctor.

Love

Fee Guest

This happened to Cooper once and I was so scared. When we had our 6 week paed check up I asked the paed and she said it was fine. It's just from rubbing on the nappy etc. It went away pretty quickly.

Milo has this and for him it was just nappy rash. The pawpaw cream didn't work for us though and i ha dto resort to sudocream.

Its prob worth getting it checked out though, as it will put your mind at rest, and if its something more serious then you'll be a ble to treat it accordingly

DS had the redness without swelling at the tip. I am pretty sure it was just from his nappy rubbing as it never really returned again, and never seemed to bother him. It was gone the very next day too. Is there any way you could give him nappy time off? I know its hard! This may help. Perhaps a long bath may soothe?
    Maybe take him to Doc tomorrow if it hasnt gone away, and he is otherwise well. Good luck.

angelfish Guest

I don't know Janelle. I'd probably go ahead and get it checked just to reassure yourself that it's nothing serious.

Nellbe, my second son Brandon used to have this problem and it started just after birth. It would flare up in a nappy change and sometimes was gone again by the next change. His penis would sweel and he would get blistery looking swellings on either his penis or balls. Of course I freaked when I saw it but apparently it was just that his urine was too strong for his skin and was burning him.I would have to make sure he was kept as dry as possible - meant changing out of cloth to disposibles and smothering him in cream.

I hope that Matthew is fine and it's just a case of his urine getting stronger and more acidic, I know Tehya's has lately.

Thank you all, I appreciate your responses! I did take him to the doctor, who said it was infected skin, and she managed to see the blister I was talked about so I wasn't seeing things! She gave me eye cream, yep eye cream as it has a long applicator and its easier to apply, to put on and told me it should up in a couple of days. She said it wasn't anything I had done, it just happens sometimes.

Matthew did seem to get worse throughout the day and he was grabbing at his nappy and crying whether I put it on and listless and clinging... she told me to give him panadol if he seems he is in any pain.

Thanks again guys.

That's great that Matthew is OK, One of those instances that shows mother's should always trust their own instincs!! I was going to say that Jackson's get red all the time, he is quite large in that area and sometimes when I take his nappy off he looks all squished and a bit red and sore. Also he stretches it so far in the bath, that sometimes this causes a bit of redness and even bruising!!! Doesn't seem to bother him though