Thread: Questions on Newborns

skorpy Guest

Default Questions on Newborns

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ?

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ?

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ?

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ?

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ?

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ?

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ?

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ?

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? Feed on Demand

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? Just Bottle Feed

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? At the moment at 2 weeks old, 3 to 4 ounces

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ? Using Cow & Gate

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc? Panadole & Calpol

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? Whenever it is wet and change it straight away when dirty

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? Use Disposables

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? Yes I would

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? I feel that powder would dry the skin,Use Sudo cream for nappy rash

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? I didnt find it difficult,just Exciting
    Last edited by skorpy; September 29th, 2006 at 06:07 PM.

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? Right at the beginning its about 2 - 3 hourly

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ?I'm bottle and breastfeeding at the moment and there's been no confusion.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? I think its 60ml at the start if you're exclusively bottle feeding

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ? I am complementing my breastfeeds with S26 gold

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc Just a good nappy cream. If they need something else you can get it later but I would be hesitant on giving a new baby any other medicine.

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? Every couple of hours if its wet, straight away for A NO. 2

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? I use disposable, but if I was starting again would probably go cloth.

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ?

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? I love baby powder on the body and nappy bream on the bum. Never put the baby powder directly on to the baby because they can inhale it. Just put it on your hands and rub it on.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born With this baby its been the breastfeeding problems. Most people would say sleep though, I think. Also first time mums sometimes wonder if they are doing things right and second guess themselves which can be hard.

HTH
    Last edited by hannanat; September 29th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.

every 3 hours

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ?
    I'm breastfeeding, but have given Nina a couple of bottles with either formula or EBM and she hasn't had any confusion.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ?
    Has the measurements on the packet, but Nina currently gets 120ml (she's 6 weeks old)

I use S26, friends of mine use Nans. You'll just have to try them all out and see which one bub likes.

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc
    I've got baby panadol on hand - can be used from 1 month

This differs - when she's fed a lot, which is normally in the afternoon, I'll change about 3-4 per hour, other times per hour or two. Each baby is different.

I use cloth when at home during the day, disposable at night and while we're out. This works great for me.

When the cloth nappy is dirty, I soak it in the bucket which is prepared with Napisan and the next day put them all in the washing machine with her other towels/washers etc. So no, I don't find it too time consuming at all.

I don't use baby powder at all, I started to use a cream after she got a nappy rash and use it each nappy change.

Having this little baby totally dependant on me!! I highly recommend having as many support people as possible when you get home. All you'll be doing in the first couple of weeks is sleeping, feeding, sleeping, feeding

skorpy I may move this over to general baby & toddler discussion as you may get more feedback there

I demand fed and plan on demand feeding this one, so it was like 45 minutes to an hour & half every 2 hours or so...

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? I started bottle feeding when Matilda was 6 weeks old 1 comp bottle a night. No nipple confusion here.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? I used EBM thickened at first and she took around 60-100mls depending on how she fed beforehand (she was 6 weeks old).

4. What formula do you recommend for your new born baby ? I don't... I think if you can breastmilk is best, if no breastmilk is available check with your health care provider.

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc I had panadol on hand as well as Fess, which is a saline nasal spray for colds. I used some colic relief from Brauers which are homeopathic drops and tried a few other colic drops which my doctor recommended.

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? I changed around 8-10 times a day.

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? Personally I used disposable for the first few weeks to get over the babymoon and then tried cloth for a while. I went back to disposables really because I was too lazy to continue and with Matilda's sleep issues I decided to let go of that.

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? I plan on using cloth nappies this time... I think it would take really an extra 30 minutes a day.

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? For girls, just the barrier cream unless you have talc free powder & then whatever works for you.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? The sleep deprivation & having no idea what is going to happen next in your day. Getting to 9pm and realising you haven't had a shower in 2 days....and figuring out what the cries mean.

skorpy Guest

Thankyou Christy

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? Even though I did not BF for very long, I still demand FF them, so the time varied

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? When I was both BF and FF, my three never experienced nipple confusion.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? it really varied. They never ever had the recommended amount on the tin - Lindsay always had more and the girls always slightly less.

4. What formula do you recommend for your new born baby ? I would recommend firstly to try to BF, but when I stopped I have always used Nestle Lactogen for the first six months and then went onto Nan2

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc I only ever had infant paracetamol

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? Whenever they needed it.

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? I used cloth with Lindsay, but disposables with the girls. I think for the first few weeks, I prefer to use the disposables because they go through so many in those first few weeks.

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? I never found them that time consuming, but because we only have tank water, the severe lack of rain put a stop to any extra washing.

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? I have only ever used sudocreme when they got nappy rash. I find it is pointless to put it on if they dont need it nad I have never used powder/talc.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? Mainly the fact that you are wholy and soley responsible for this new little person and tyring to figure out what the right thing to do is.
    Last edited by Trillian; September 29th, 2006 at 06:19 PM.

I BF on demand which worked out approx. every 2-3 hours when Kynan was a newborn.

I breastfed and tried to give Kynan the occasional bottle of EBM but he never took to a bottle.

For a newborn I'd probably have panadol & Fess.

About every 2 hours for a newborn (with every feed) or sooner if needed.

We were full time cloth users from the start... just our preference for environmental & health reasons, plus they work well for us.

No, I found it pretty easy once I got into a bit of a routine with things. Plus with modern cloth there's no need to soak.

We never used powder because of the possible health & inhalation risks. We just use a natural bum cream when required.

Adjusting to life with a helpless, dependent little baby, feeling like I had no idea what I was doing, & the sleep deprivation!

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? On demand, about every 2 hours
    2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? have bottlefed w breast milk (EBM) and use a dummy, he never seemed confused, although the dummy did change the way he suckled for a little while

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? I fed him EBM for the first time at about 10 wks and he took 120ml. I think it's 120ml x weight divided by no of feeds in a day.

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc We needed Panadol after his 1st vaccinations and we've had to get Fess to clear his nose

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? Between breasts at every feed.

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? We use cloth, mainly for environmental reasons. Use bio-degradable disposables if we're going to be out for a while. (See ecodirect.com.au)

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? Not time consuming at all - they don't need to be soaked anymore. I pop them in the machine each morning and fold them up at night. Easy! And I feel so virtuous! The biggest drag, for me, is that he always feels damp - we don't use pilchers as they cause nappy rash

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? We only use barrier cream when he has nappy rash. 'They' say that the powder just gets gluggy and clogs up their pores

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? He cried and cried and cried. He was in my arms or in the pouch 16 hrs a day. No time to go to the loo or make lunch. It made me sad that me picking him up and cuddling didn't comfort him. It gradually became easier from 6 wks.

Good Luck!

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? When and for how long baby wants to feed...dont believe at looking at the clock.

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? No used finger feeding to avoid any problems in the first few weeks otherwise fully breast fed

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc Only ever used baby panadol a couple of times

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? every couple of hours..when needed..sometimes more frequently

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ?I personally prefer disposable but not opposed to cloth

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? None...dont like powder at all...barrier cream only sometimes

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? Adjusting to the lack of sleep and the new demands of being responsible for anohter human being as well as retaining my own identity

I BF every 3 hours, I planned it that way. I fed DD1 on demand and it was a nightmare, she fed every 1.5hrs and never got enough, so with no 2 I fed 3 hours apart.

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? I used bottle and breast from very early on. No nipple confusion (i topped her up with EBM). She slowly weaned herself after 8 monhts.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? /Whatever it says on the tin? I didn't formula feed until 9 months. Now I just give her 100ml a few times a day, she rarely has it all.

Panadol and any wind medicine that a newborn can have!

Whenever necessary (3 hourly?)

Disposable....easy!!

Never tried>

Neither unless nappy rash. I try not to use wipes much either.

Loneliness and Isolation.xoxo

on demand which is roughly 2-3 hourly during the day and 4-5 hourly at night
    Xander isn't really too keen on the bottle (EBM) and will only take the Pigeon teat
    Not sure, I express into bottles to about 120mL and he generally will take the lot
    Breast Milk!
    As little as possible as we have a 24hour chemist near by if needed. The only think we have is Bruaers' Colic Relief and Infant Gaviscon
    At every feed even if not needed... but sooner if he does a poo
    Modern Cloth all the way!
    Not at all... modern cloth requires no soaking, folding or pins required... easier than sposies IMO
    I use Gaia Soothing Cream or Cornflour Powder.. only one or the other tho
    For us it has been the reflux... I can cope with sleep deprivation and crying, but hate seeing our little man in pain

Fee Guest

Cooper is 11 weeks today, so not so much a newborn anymore!

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? Initially it was every 4 hours but now he feeds every 3 hours. I follow a loose routine of every 3 hours but I'm not strict with it. If he seems hungry at 2.5 hours I will feed then.

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? I have not tried bottle feeding.

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? N/A

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ? N/A

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc We have Baby Panadol and have only used it once (8 week needles)

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? At every feed and any other time when I hear a massive poo! I feed Cooper on one boob, change his nappy and then offer the other side.

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? Disposables as it's so much easier!

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? I haven't tried them but I can't imagine fitting all that work into my day.

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? I have never used either on Cooper.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? Breastfeeding. It was going well but I had so many questions to ask the clinic about various issues to do with BFing.

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? Every 3-4 hours, nights he usually sleeps 6 hours so whenever he wakes

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? Yep.. breastfed for first week.. he was feeding every hour, sleeping for only half an hour to an hour at a time and always grumpy and crying.. put him on the bottle and now hes feeding and sleeping well and just seems alot happier baby

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? 100mls atm

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ? We use Heinz Nurture Gold 1

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc None atm as hes too young to take any

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? everytime it feels full or has a poo, usually before each feed.

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? Disposables.. alot less time consuming, less irritation for bubs and washing baby clothes, blankets and sheets every second is enough washing for me!

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? Yes! We use them as "puke rags".

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? Dont like baby powder cos powder clumps when wet.. only use cream if theres an irritation.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? Getting use to the sleep patterns

River's only 6 days old, so only maybe just starting to develop a sort of maybe routine...

1. How often do you feed your new born baby ? On demand, so um...4ish hourly during the day, and nights don't have a pattern yet..he's just a mental..perhaps 2-3 hourly?

2. Have you tried bottle feeding and B/F ? If so , did your baby develope nipple confusion ? Haven't tried the bottle..

3. When bottle feeding , how much milk / formula should you be feeding your baby ? n/a

4. What formular do you recommend for your new born baby ? n/a

5. What medicines should you have on hand for your new born baby ? ie , baby panadole etc Don't have any pain relief yet. Love Nyal Junior Saline drops for his stuffy nose...when I can keep his head still!

6. How often do you change your newborn baby's nappy ? Ooh we can smell him! He often fills during a feed, so feed, change, then offer other side. Sort of works so far..

7. Do you recommend cloth nappies or disposable nappies for new borns ? why ? Both. Sposies for when it's all too much and he is screaming and kicking, but having said that, as I'm easing into cloth, I'm finding it just as easy, especially the nappies shaped like disposables. I save the origami for daytime!

8. Do you find cloth nappies too time consumming ? ie , washing and soaking etc ? Not so far, cos DH has done it all, but he goes back to work tomorrow, so we'll see..probably not though, I don't soak, just drypail.

9. Do you recommend putting baby powder and a barrier creme , or just the one ? Haven't used either yet..will use a cream if I see a rash/redness I guess..I would try one at a time I think.

10. what did you find the most difficult part of bringing home a new born ? I can cope with the newborn on his own, but dealing with still being in pain from stitches is frustrating, because I am often uncomfy while I heal. That and when he has hiccups and can't sleep.