Thread: Recommendations from the yesteryear...

Lightbulb Recommendations from the yesteryear...

We think the knowledge we have today is new... but my MIL recently gave me marc's "Baby's Book" its a little blue book an old version of the MCHN books we have today to store measurements and immunisation details etc. Anyway there are some tips on how to care for your baby and I thought I'd share them. Some of you will find them interesting to know that we still follow them today.

~ Breast Fed babies rarely need extra fluids but in very hot weather boiled water should be offered to artificially fed babies and to babies who have been weaned.
    ~ FEED baby when he is hungry and wants to be fed. He will need night feeds, and at least 5 feeds in 24 hrs. Wind can be swallowed if baby is left crying for too long.
    ~ Feed him if he's hungry.
    ~ Ask Visitors to let baby sleep.
    ~ Half an hour after both breasts are empty there's another ounce for baby.
    ~ Feeding more often makes a better milk supply.
    ~ A cuddle makes feeding time a happy time.
    ~ You milk gives more value than prepared baby foods.
    ~ If you want to use a playpen start before a baby can move about.
    ~ Guard the fire, the heater, the stove and the fan.
    ~ Lock up Kerosene, Detergents, Bleaches, Weed Killers, Fly Spray.
    ~ There's no hurry to start potty training.
    ~ Don't expect too much of baby.
    ~ He should know there are one or two things that are taboo.
    ~ Simple, strong safe toys are best - Blocks, boxes, wooden spoons, buckets and sand etc.
    ~ He learns by watching what you do and how you behave.

I thought it was very interesting. And it seems the breast is best campaign has been around for some time by the looks of it As is delaying solids, demand feeding and non CC methods for settling.

*hugs*
    Cailin

WOW Thats fantastic, its funny you know because some of our Mum's give us advice that is from their mums... it just shows how long it takes to change an idea A few generations before things stick. I hope when Matilda becomes a Mum she's is able to make choices not based on generations of uninformed tradition and on the most recent information she can.

How cool is that?? My mum raised us all in the 70s and she was similar in philosophy as me with newborns, and alot with babies/toddlers too.
    I think its great that these sensible statements were around then, and are still here now. Maybe its more than just tips - perhaps more to do with mothering instinct?

More from my younger SIL's Health Nurse Book (born in the 80's):

(From "THE NEEDS OF CHILDREN" by Mia Pringle)

1. Give continuous, consistant, loving care - It's essential for the mind's health as food is for the body.

2. Give generously of your time and understanding = playing with and reading to your child matters more than a tidy, smooth-running home.

3. Provide new experiences and bathe your child in language from birth onwards - they enrich her growing mind.

4. Encourage her to play in every way both by herself and with other children -exploring, imitating, constructing, pretending and creating.

5. Give her more praise for effort than for achievement.

6. Give ever-increasing responsibility - like all skills, it needs to be practised.

7. Remember that every child is unique - so suitable handling for one may not be right for another.

8. Make the way you show disapproval fit your child's temperament, age and understanding.

9. Never threaten you will stop loving her or give her away; you may reject her behaviour but never suggest that you might reject her.

10. Don't expect gratitude; your child did not ask to be born - the choice was yours.
    I got quite teary reading these ones...

*hugs*
    Cailin

These are great Cailin. I'm sure good info has always been available, just sometimes hidden in amongst all the [email protected] Although, come to think of it, that's still the situation!

We have Nicks old health book - tiny cardboard flimsy thing from 1970. And I'm sure it says something about putting pentavite or some sort of vitamins in their bottle.

I have a copy of a book that my Great Grandfather wrote: The Young Mother and Babyhood (he was an OB back in the 1930's!!) about babies and their care. It is heartwarming to read that so many of his views are the same as mine.....one of his intorductory paragraphs says "Babies need breastmilk, love and a healthy dose of fresh air"! LOL!
    Last edited by Lucy; October 5th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.