Thread: Rocking Chair for Nursery

Default Rocking Chair for Nursery

Just wanted to know how many of you bought a rocker for the nursery, and did you end up using it. Still deciding whether to buy one or not.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I had a hard time deciding whether or not i needed one too. I bought one in the end, and i have used it everyday since Evan was born (he's 8.5months old), and still use everyday! When he was small enough, i fed him in it, and then rocked with him until he fell asleep. Then his legs got too long so i couldn't BF him in it anymore, but now i bring him to bed with me to feed and then rock him back to sleep if he isn't asleep when he finishes feeding. I also use it to get him back to sleep if he's not hungry.

I have to admit though, that i bought a cheap one, and if i had the chance again, i'd buy a better quality one because i have spent SO much time in it the past 9 months, and it isn't really terribly comfortable! Plus the cushions squeak against the wood which annoys me (doesn't seem to bother DS!).

Good luck!

Linds

I got one (it's in the lounge rather than nursery) a couple of weeks after Tamsin was born, mainly because I didn't have any comfy chairs for feeding in. I use it quite a lot - to start with it was for every feed, now it's probably about half of them. I also find it really good for calming her down if she's crying and nothing else works!

I bought a glider rocker. I must say i don't use it very often at all but i probably will this time around.

I bought a fairly expensive Glider and I must admit I mainly use it as a place to sit the laundry basket while I'm putting Abbie's laundry away! And I went through such an ordeal to get it, my dh didn't want to spend the money to get one so, after a few well placed Melbourne Cup bets (thank you Makybe Diva!) I bought it myself. But, we put it in her nursery, and when it comes time to feed her I usually end up in the lounge room in front of the TV instead. I'm pretty lucky though because Abbie is so easy to settle and I rarely need to rock her. Your baby may be totally opposite from mine, in which case a rocker could prove quite handy!

I bought a glider rocker when i was pregnant with dd and used it so much! It's a leather-look one, and it's so comfortable. I used it when I fed her, rocked her, read her stories. I even slept in it at the end of my pregnancy when I couldn't get comfortable in bed. It's one of the best things I bought. I've only just taken out of her room now that I've set up the nursery for this bubs. I'll definitely be using it this time around as well

I guess it would depend on where you plan on feeding as well

Hope it helps

Bel

My mum bought one for me the day after I got out of hospital, it was great because after having an emergency c/s it was all I could get in and out of! I found it really helpful to get Zander to sleep when he was unsettled (also put me to sleep a few times).

We had it in the loungeroom for the first few months when we used it alot, but now it's in Zander's bedroom. I still use it every now & then when he wakes up in the night.

I really wanted one but DH (the tightwad) spat it so I didn't. I used the couch for Mason but for Angus so as not to disturb the household I moved a piece of our modular couch into his room. So I guess I may well have used one if I'd had one but made do without.

I got given a cheap one from Big W(can also find it at Toys Rus) as a birthday present from my folks just before DD was born and it was great! I had it in my living area though and still use it now. DD loves for me sometimes to sit there cuddling her still and rocking, I think it is a real comfort thing for her. I went out and purchased a couple of months later the matching foot stool and I found that was great too.

Really really recommend getting one if you can afford it!

We bought a rocking chair from Big W. We used it for the first 3 Months, and it did help to get our DS to sleep during the day.

we have a big old antique sorta chair in Jackson's room, one of those bits of furniture that is a bit ugly, but soooo comfy. When I wa PG with Jackson I knitted a big patchwork rug, and now that is covering the chair, and either me or DH sing him songs every night before bed in it.

I got a glider chair and have used it every day. Now that Pup is being a pain in the bum to BF (too busy trying to look at everything!) it is better for us to go to the nursery and use the glider to feed rather than trying to do it in th lounge where there are too many distractions.

We don't have a glider/rocker, but we do have a very old "nursing chair" which has been in our family forever and after my brother finished with it (after his two kids got older) he sent it to me from the UK! That is how useful they found it, and I would be LOST without it. (I also love the fact that I know that so many generations of babies have been nursed and cuddled in it, including all my brothers and sisters, me, my Dad, my Grandpa etc: you get the picture.......)

It is in the corner of Charlie's room and I BF'd him in it and now give him his bottles sitting in it. It is SO SO comfortable and as soon as I sit in it, I relax, and I am sure that helps settle my babes.

We used it in the same way for Olivia, & she calls it "special chair" and often when she is tired will ask for "stories in special chair" and she and I go and have a cuddle and a story read in the chair whilst Charlie sits at our feet.......

So I would vouch for a comfy chair in a babies room, every time....