Thread: Rolling 4 month old and sleep

Default Rolling 4 month old and sleep

For the life of me I can't remember what happened with DD but with DS he is very good at rolling onto his tummy but not the other way around. Anyway when I put him down to sleep he will quite often roll onto his tummy and can't get back again. He won't fall asleep on his tummy - just pops his head up and has a good look around. The only way I can get him to sleep is to gently hold his legs on the side (yes he either sleeps on his side or back - naughty I know re sides, but he will roll to his side usually by himself anyway). I can't wrap him because he is a TOTAL finger sucker. Anyway how do I stop him rolling onto his tummy or do I just wait it out until he can roll back over again? Agh I can't believe I can't remember what happened with DD!

I had this problem too. It lasted about 2-3 weeks and then DD learned to roll herself back. She also learned to like sleeping on her tummy but that doesn't worry me as I know she can move her head around and roll back if she wants to.

At first I tried to keep her from rolling over by using some little roll things I bought at a baby shop but she learned to roll on top of them and would then get stuck which upset her more so I stopped using them after a couple of days.

Jesse does this too and cant roll back (drives me bonkers during the day time when he's on his mat!), but once he's been on his tummy for long enough or if he does it during the night he'll yell out. I thought being in a grobag sleeping bag may prevent him from rolling but he does it just as easily in it anyways. So yeh.. think we just have to wait until they learn to roll back... though i have been told about triangle sleeping pillows (for babies) that will stop them from rolling.. but Jesse is that strong i think he'd find a way.

You can buy sleep positioners that will stop them rolling. Even if you only use it until you're confident that he can roll back if he needs to.
    The Safe n Sound one is good, the rolls are big enough there is no way that a four month old could roll over the top of it - my DD used it until she was about 8 months old and she never came close to rolling over it even then.