Thread: Safety sugestions for kitchens

Default Safety sugestions for kitchens

My lovely DD decided to get into the cupboard and pull all my good china out and smash a plate :fuming: Does anyone have the safety catches on there cupboards and think they are "smashing" to say the least.
    I have looked at the magnetic ones but not sure how they work, DH is impatient and if he can't get into a draw I can see a tantie being thrown by him.
    Bec

I'll asked my mum what she used when I was little, because I was the hyperactive toddler from hell. (opened the childproof locks on medicine bottles, played hide and seek and hid in the top loading washing machine..)

I think with cupboards she just tied them together (we had the kind with knobs for handles), but I know the latches are supposed to be quite good, and are probably what we will get once Milo starts crawling.

The drawer latches I've seen look OK, the ones where you can open the drawer a bit, then you have to unhook it with you finger to open it fully.

Hi - we had the bottom drawer with stuff that Caitlin could play with and that became her drawer.

Also, one end of our kitchen has a gate and some cupboards have those latch things on the inside, you get used to it after a while.

Some friends have some sort of wooden kitchen set up and her husband made matching locks for the outside knobs. They looked good, blended in, but a hassle to get into.

I've taken a differant path and totally rearranged my kitchen. All the bottom shelves have plastics and saucepans etc in them and the glasses and plates and so on are in the high shelves. I moved the detergent to the top of the sink and all the rest of the cleaning products to the laundry. It took a while to get used to the new layout but now I usually go to the right place and it has the advantage of not having to worry about whether I left a latch open or having to negotiate them myself.

I never had a problem with Kimberley getting into things but i do with Alex he just loves to open a draw or cupboard we are lucky as the house we are renting all ready has child proof catches on some of the draws and cupboards.

Maybe try changing things around so you don't have to go out and buy something and also have a draw full of stuff he can play with.

We have these little plastic childproof 'catches' on all of our lower cupboard doors, as well as the top drawer which contains the sharp knives etc.
    What they do is basically lets you open the cupboard/drawer for about 2 inches, but then you have to slip your hand in to release the catch before it will open properly. I think it will be a good few years before Aidyn figures it out

we had the catches, but they were a pain in the bum! DH built a little timber barrier about a foot high, just enough to not be a pain to step over, but keeps Jackson out of the kitchen altogether, and it onl cost $15 for the materials.

We can block off the kitchen and laundry area with one gate. As the kitchen is new, DH does not want to risk damaging the cabinets with child locks. Also I find it safer to keep her out completely - see below

One thing to consider is the safety of the oven. Ours is a new under-bench stainless steel one and the stainless steel is actually quite sharp where it wraps around the edge. Maggie manage to slice her finger on it. Took me a day to work out what she did it on, as only baby fingers are small enough to get in between the door and the cabinetry.