Thread: Scary Noise!

Default Scary Noise!

Lily has found out how to make another noise, which would be great if it didn't sound as if she was choaking to death!!!

She makes this flemmy choaking sound at the back of her throat. She does it whenever she doesn't get her own way, for eg, if i say no to her doing something, she'll do it, or if we're eating and won't give her some of what we have.

It scares the [email protected] out of DF and I! I don't know what to do. It seems like an attention seeking thing. Because when i ask if she is ok she will laugh, cheeky bugger!

Melinda Guest

My only suggestion is that if you know she is ok and is using it to get your attention, then try ignoring it. That way the novelty should soon wear off as she'll know that she's not getting a reaction for you.

Yeah I know i should but it is a bit hard because i sometimes im not sure she's doing it on purpose until she laughs at me. She sounds like Donald Duck, quite funny when you think about it.

Melinda Guest

I know....that's a bit tricky isn't it.

I know Jacob has done similar things and it's taken me a little while before I've known what's the 'real' deal and when he's pulling a fakie! LOL

Custardtart Guest

Oh I can so relate! My eight-year-old has decided, since about two weeks ago, that it is 'trick Mummy' season, and she is coming up with everything under the sun to get a reaction from me, from gagging noises while eating, to weird slurping noises drinking, gargling while brushing teeth, and telling me things that are just plain WRONG, but close enough to the truth to give me a moment's puzzled pause.

I guess I am finally getting payback for all the times I tormented my own poor dear mother!
    The classic today was when she told me she had a 'force-field'. She demonstrated by licking her palm then holding it up in front of my nose! My automatic reaction was to shy away - she packed up with laughter. What can you do?!?!?!? I guess she'll eventually grow out of it - in another 20 years or so!

Kerrie

Matilda screams & makes a full on gagging sound in her cot to the point that I'm positive she's vomiting, then I go running into her room & she cracks up laughing. She does this 3-4 times a week but because of her reflux when she was a baby she knows that I will come in if I think she's vomited. Therefore, she does it all the time. Its definately an attention seeking thing and last week I decided not to go in & if there was vomit then I would worry about it later (there are always baths) and she hasn't done it this week now....so far

Ah so i'm not the only sucker hey? lol. Well i'll try ignore it for at least a day anyhow.

I think this is definatly attention seeking because the other day when i had an asthma attack and kept coughing, we weren't really paying attention to Lily, so she was fake coughing lol. Could definatly tell it was fake as she was laughing while doing it lol.

Pietta Guest

Oh wow!! I am not sure if Ryley does anything like this- I am going to have to pay more attention- what happens though when i tell him not to do something sometimes he will cry and then I just either just look at him blankly coz then he laughs and i know he was crocodile tears, or i will leave it for literally 10 secs and then I will start singing to him. This way he realises that I am not going to buy into it but also i am still showing that i care.

Hope that can help a bit?

my little brother used to make a noise that sounded like a cow was dying or something, it was just awful and was attention seeking as well., it was very hard to ignore

Well i just found out off my mum that apparently when i was Lily's age I used to make this funny laugh in the back of my throat and she said i sounded like horse! lol So must just be the age for it i guess!