Thread: screeching/screaming at the shops

Default screeching/screaming at the shops

My DS has developed a terrible habit of screeching at the top of his voice to put me off what I am doing. He does it while shopping, at home when he wants something etc etc. Have you gone through it and did it take long to pass? What did you do? It is very exasperating and it is a head turner, one of those bad mother looks is what I get!

This happens with us too...though it had ceased for a month or so but today it was back with a vengence!!! Cameron was sooo loud, it was ear piercing. Was a little embarrassing but I kept my cool as it was more a happy screech. DH kept telling him to shush, but I kept saying its alright and reminding myself that kids make noise. I do take him water and treats (like rusks, fruit, crackers) as well as some favourite toys to keep him entertained for a little bit, but sometimes it just can't be helped. I'm sure people would understand - if not they've obviously never had children.
    Last edited by Frangipani; March 23rd, 2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling

we had a similar experience and found that once we fixed it at home it flowed very quickly into different situations like at the shops. What worked best for us was simply ignoring it and not rewarding the behaviour with ANY attention - be it responding and rushing to him or telling him to stop. Once the screeching or unwanted behaviour was replaced by more positive behaviour THEN we would pay him attention and reinforce the behaviour we wanted.

Not all will agree with this process however we found that it worked really well for us. When you are at the shops and he starts simply ignore it - stuff what everyone else thinks - and chances are those who give you looks don't have children, have no idea and aren't worth the time of day.

i get this.

i ignore him.. he gets worse.. he throws himself on the floor then he gets over it..

and if hes in the trolley he just yells and yells.. or tries to grab bags off people as we go past.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS screams and screatches often when out also.

So much so DH is like i dont think we should go out for dinner anymore!!!

We say shhhhh and if out at a restaurant I will BF him, supermarket cant BF and push trolley LOL

Both my kids went through this stage around 9-10 mths. It was especially bad in places that echoed like supermarkets. Try not to react at all, don't turn towards the noise in fact try and put your back to them. It takes a while but if you consistantly ignore them it will stop. You can try shushing but sometimes this is just the reaction they are looking for and will continue. if they have a key word like quite time, talk in a whisper, like a mouse that they understand it might work but I found ignoring to be the best, the people in the shops will get over it!

Ignore him.

I have pushed my son around a shop for a whole food shopping trip with him screaming his guts out. I would just hum to myself. Other people in the shop don't like it, but I can't help it.

He hasn't done it for ages, so ignoring the behaviour and praising/making a big deal of the good behaviour certainly seems to be working for me.

It's hard to ignore as it's pretty awful, but you just have to. Don't even acknowledge his behaviour.

Thanks so much ladies. It is a relief just to know it isn't just me listening to the screaming at the shops! What you are saying makes perfect sense. I have been reacting to it because I fint it so embarrassing. I'll have to practice ignoring it at home. They are such clever little things. My DS is nearly two and it has got to the point where we can't go out for a coffee without an incident, lunches can be rushed (if it isn't something unhealthy like chips that is) and I'm thinking is it my fault or is this just normal for the stage?

Lol I HAD no option but to shush Oskar today... I was at the hossy waiting for my appointment ..lol. Usually though I do what most others who have replied do... I ignore it. If I do say something he giggles and does it again. They think that all noises are funny and I think they particularly like the shops as it echoes and sounds cool.