Thread: Second child easier than first - truth or fiction?

Default Second child easier than first - truth or fiction?

Just wondering about people's opinions and experiences on this. Everyone is telling me that your second child is easier than your first as you dont have the time to deal with their needs quite as quickly as you did with your second as you are obviously splitting your time between two children etc. Obviously each child is different but i was wondering on a whole how true this statement is or if this is just one of those old wives tales.

Hmmm...not having the personal experience I can only go by my sister's. Her first child was a complete angel, her 2nd is the complete opposite of angel! Maybe people find it easier in that they know more & know what to expect?

I don't have the personal experience yet either, but going by people I know, it doesn't seem to be the case.
    I was the easiest child for my parents and I'm the first born - same goes for my DH.

I think every child is so different, but perhaps the way you approach it the second time round might change?

i found it easier.
    I think it had more to do with the fact that i had an idea of what i was doing and was more relxed about things.
    Its trickly juggling a new baby and still giving ur older child the attention it needs and is used to, but on a whole a much easier ride this time around

Not for me! First chile...dream baby and very placid...second child...erm handful?? Lol but still very gorgeous. I really think it depends on the kid

Sorry babe, but not in my case. I love DS to death, but he's way more demanding than DD ever was, and I thought I had it tough with her.

I think Skybie has hit the nail on the head, you are more relaxed (generally) cos you have some idea on what you are doing. However, if you have a toddler as well, that presents new challenges.

But on the whole, yes Miss M was an "easier" baby than Aricyn was. He would wake up screaming and was generally an unhappy baby most of the time, whereas Miss M was a placid little thing, even though she had silent reflux - she was still a really cruisy baby.

And Eden is by far my easiest baby being the 3rd.

The girls are quite right, in yourself you are generally more relaxed and easy going, you've been there before and tend to stress less about the little things that the first time round you tend to freak out about.

That said DD1 was a beautiful child, slept well, very placid and content.
    DD2 is clingy, is not a fan of other people but with myself or DD1 she has the most beautiful nature.

Each child is different, i know people who have 2 or more angelic children, never had an issue, i know others who's 2nd child could be the spawn of the devil ... theres nothing set in stone, i think the old wives tale refers more to how you feel the 2nd time round, not how the child acts.

I think it can depend too.
    The second child can come with their own set of problems, but when J plays up or acts out I can stay calm and wait it out because I've seen it all before and I know it will pass.
    That said, both my cubs have very similar temperaments and are relatively peaceful by nature.
    If anything, I struggle more with B as she gets older and requires more attention and stimulation from me because my resources are somewhat depleted. Jordy's still fairly easy to please,
    HTH

My first was placid and slept all the time, my second didn't sleep and cried for the first 4mths, 3rd and 4th were easy. So even though you may be more relaxed with following children it really all depends on the child.

Regards,
    Dianne

As some of the others said, I actually found that parenting was easier second time around - BUT my second is definitely not an easier child! She is a little monkey and much more of a handful than DD1 ever was. She is less cooperative, more defiant, more headstrong, doesn't sleep as well, and generally gets into more mischief. But I feel more confident in my dealing with her so that part is easier.