Thread: Second hand car seat?

Default Second hand car seat?

We have some lovely friends who have finished with all of their baby stuff and want to give it to us. It's all really nice and well-cared for etc, but I have been wondering if it is okay to use a 2nd hand car seat? No one else seems to think it's a problem, but it's been running through my mind. I would have it properly fitted of course, and I don't want to be paranoid, I just want to be safe! It's really not a big deal for us to buy a new one, but I'm happy to use our friend's, as long as it's okay.

Any thoughts?

It's perfectly safe as long as it's never been in an accident. Did they buy it new? If they did, then they will know for sure if it has been.

My SIL got hit by a truck and her car rolled over onto its roof. She had her 2 little twin girls in the back in their capsules and they were fine. Just sort of hanging there, lol. I'd hate to think what would have happened if they weren't properly restrained.

Good luck!

as long as you know it's history, it's fine (ie you KNOW it has never been in a car accident)

coming from friends i am sure it will be fine

i agree so long as it hasnt ben in an accident... and also make sure that it is still under is limit date thing...

They only have a recommended life span (the plastic part/base gets brittle over time), and normally the date of manufacture is pressed into the plastic part to the seat...

i had one given to me, but it was over 10 years old, so I didnt use it, as the frames get brittle over time.... but I got a second one (for my friend to use for my daughter), that was only 6 years old & in excellent condition... annd this is fine....

hope this helps!!!!

sezjm,

We are going to Perth for hols and we did not want to buy a brand new car seat so we bought a second hand one, never been in an accident and in good condition it also came from a non-smoking home as well. We haven't seen it yet but my parents have and found it to be in good nick so can't complain. We bought it off e-bay! Mum and Dad collected it from the persons house and it was immaculate.

We only got a second hand one for Perth though for holidays as we will be going back and forward alot. We did buy a brand new one for Home though. But depends on what you can afford at the time.

If it is from Friends that you have known for a long time i would accept the car seat! Saves you a bit of money at least $250.00 anyway....

Hope this helps.

jen

Sorry to interrupt your thread but i was wondering what happens to car seatws if you have been in an accident. i was in one last year but madison was not in the car and my car was hit on my side and the car seat was not touched.
    thanks

Kel - KidSafe over here told me if it was in accident there could be hair line breaks in the car seat that you can't see. If you have another accident the hairline could break totally and cause more damage to the child then if it haddn't had those breaks. You should replace it even if your child wasn't even in the car. It's more for the plastics than the belts.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bubseykel; December 1st, 2006 at 11:07 AM.

Kelly - it should be covered by your insurance to replace the seat in any accident. I would insist on it.
    Call them and complain about why they never told you to replace it at the time!

I found this when I had to use a 2nd hand car seat when travelling, it is from the a Kidsafe document:

Buying a Second Hand Restraint
    Safety Standards are constantly being upgraded and improved. During 2000 child restraints were certified to the latest standard AS/NZS 1754-2000. Second hand restraints may not have the latest technology built in.
    At the end of 1996 the Federal Bureau of Consumer Affairs introduced a prohibition on the sale or hire of restraints not meeting the 1991 version of the Australian Standard and is applicable to 'Incorporated entities'. It is important to note that the Safe-n-Sound capsule and baby commuter 'Body Bands' are no longer available.
    All child restraints manufactured before 1993 (Key hole system) do not meet the AS/NZS 1754-1991 version of the Australian Standard.
    Refer page 5 on different types of anchor bolts.
    Second hand seat with harness buckle missing
    Extreme care must be taken when buying a second hand child restraint.
    Don't choose one simply because it's cheap - you could be putting your child's life at risk. Second hand restraints are best bought from people that you know, such as a friend or a relative, and only after you have established how it was previously used.
    Even if a restraint looks to be in good condition, don't buy it until you are completely certain of its previous use!
    * Child restraints that are ten years old or older should not be bought. Manufacturers recommend that restraints be discarded after ten years because their safety in the event of a crash cannot be guaranteed.
    * Even if the restraint shows no sign of damage, don't buy it if you know that it has been in a crash. The accident may have weakened the straps, catches or housing.
    * Any restraint that is discarded because of age or involvement in a crash, should be destroyed so that it cannot be used by anyone else.
    * As we advise repeatedly in this guide, only buy restraints that meet the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1754 Look for the Australian Standard symbol on the restraint.
    * Restraints that show signs of wearing, cracking or have mouldy straps or buckles, should be avoided.
    * Restraints that have been modified in any way (eg shortened straps) should also be avoided.
    * Only buy restraints that are complete, with no parts missing.
    * Ideally, restraints should be accompanied by operational manuals. If not, obtain one from the manufacturer or agent, to ensure that all parts are present and complete.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies That document is great Astrid!

I know that the seat has not been in an accident, but I still feel a bit funny about it. Maybe it's just best if we buy a new one. I think I'll just wait until we get the seat, check it out thoroughly, and then make a decision.

Another reason to love BB! There's just so much information

My sister gave us her capule for Jesse. They bought it for their first back in '99 and it was perfectly fine. Just have a check over it and make sure theres no freys in the straps or damage to it and it should be fine.

I'm funny about them as well, as far as I am concerned I am not going to risk my daughters life to save a few dollars. I was only comfortable with the one I used when travelling as I knew the brand and knew who had used it, saying that though I would still rather buy my own for one that is to be used all the time.