Thread: Seperation Anxiety

kyliej Guest

Default Seperation Anxiety

Two months ago I started back at work 3 days per week.My daughter Meghan is 12 months and I put her in child care for two days and she is extremely clingy towards me and she is head butting the floor.When I am with her she wants me to hold her all the time, I can't get anything done, I couldn't even get changed this morning.I didn't want to have to resort to putting her in the cot every time I needed to do something.Toys and new objects don't grab her attention for longer then a few minutes.

What can I do about her headbutting.I'm worried she's really going to hurt herself.

Please help.
    Kylie

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kylie,

Seperation anxiety is very common at this age - with babies, as far as they are concerned if you are not there, you could well be at China for all they know! Playing games like 'peek-a-boo' help lots as it shows them that mummy might go for a sec, but she'll come back.

Also, remember this is just a stage and part of normal, healthy development. Lots of cuddles and reassurance are great and if you can just allow her some extra at this time it will really help - it wont spoil her - she'll get past this developmental milestone - you just have to ride it as best you can. Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Kylie,

My son was also suffering from seperation anxiety at a similar age (about 14 months old)
    It would happen when I left him at the creche in the gym for an hour, and he would just scream and cry, almost the whole time until I came back
    However, he is much better now, and barely worries when I leave as I think he has learnt that I am going to come back.

Hopefully with just a little more time and perserverance Meghan might settle into her new routine a little better. She sounds like a sensitive little soul, and we have to remember that all babies/kids are different, so I dont think she is being too abnormal in her behaviour.... but I know it must be so hard for you to watch her banging her head and stuff.
    Hopefully things will get better soon for you both...
    Please hang in there!

Melinda Guest

Oh, I know how tricky and upsetting this can be!

Jacob has suffered with it quite badly too - if I left the room to go to the toilet or whatever, he would follow me sobbing and trying to cling to my legs. If I tried to get dinner ready, he would lay across my feet in the kitchen, crying! He can still be a bit that way with dinner time as it's his ratty hour unfortunately! So it always makes preparing dinner quite stressful.

Jacob spends the best part of one day a week with my Mum and it took around 7 - 8 weeks for him to adjust to being there. He was screaming and crying practically the whole time on a couple of occasions but now, he loves it and has a great time with Nanny! Only a couple of tears when I leave, which he is very easily distracted from.

I have read that separation anxiety can be very common during developmental milestones - is Meghan learning to walk or anything like that?

Unfortunately there's not a lot that I can suggest - peek-a-boo is great, but most of the time they simply want you and to be cuddled. As stressful as it is and how you usually don't get much done as a result, I found cuddling him was the best thing.....at least that way he felt reassured about his environment.......