Thread: Seperation Anxiety - Strength and Guidance Needed

Thumbs down Seperation Anxiety - Strength and Guidance Needed

Hi there All

Ok here's the situation - my 13month old is driving me bonker he has in the last fortnight decided that sleeping in the cot is a NO NO.

He has been somewhat "difficult" for some time now - he hasn't slept in the cot for day sleeps since 5 months and til now that has been OK (kind of iykwim).

He has been sleeping through in the cot since about 9months and was happy to do so for his night sleep.

In the last 2 weeks he has decided that he not only doesn't want to sleep in the cot anymore but he is also requires to be comforted to sleep (ie sleep next to him) at all his nap times.

His night sleep that has been good for some time now has gone haywire also - he will wake anywhere between 11pm and 4am - normally around 2am though and scream hysterically - he is wide awake at this point and tries to climb out of the cot, the only way to console him is to nurse him and then finally fall asleep next to him - GOD help me if I ry and put him back in the cot - he screams blue murder.

I have tried CC throughout the day (I'm trying to get him to sleep in the cot) and it has never worked - Brodie doesn't have an off switch and will happily scream and cry hysterically until i pull him out of the cot - it gets abit overwhelming on both our parts by this point.

So OK enough babble- I need some HELP - any pointers/guidance would be helpful.

I have contacted Tresillian,Possum Cottage and Karitane - basically they weren't much help - but that's another long post in itself.

So Thanks in advance for reading this far and for your help.

cheers

Hi Dianna,

Is Brodie teething? Just that milo has been doing really similar things for the past 3 or 4 weeks, and it coincided with teething (although I think most are thru now and its still not back to normal!)

Day time is less of an issue, but night times we've had to sit next to him until he goes to sleep most nights. We've had two absolute killers where he woke every 40-60 mins all night, and both times there was a nother tooth thru the next day.

bummer Rachael - you know what I'm talking about then.

He is 'probably" getting teeth - but to look inside his mouth there isn't much going on - maybe they are just getting into place. I wish he would get some more teeth so that this time would hurry up and end - teething SUCKS!!!!

Also we've tried the sit by the cot settle method - he just goes nuts trying to get out - it's a little bit ridiculous ATM

major separation anxiety is very common at that age.he's just confirming that he thinks you are the most important person in his life and doesn't want you to leave him. forcing separation definetly makes it worse and destroys his trust. can you stay in his room before he goes to sleep in the cot? rub/pat his back. pick him up and cuddle him if he gets upset. gradually he will grow out of it and you slowly move from holding him, to sitting by the cot, to sitting nearer to the doorway, then out the door! LOL.
    goodluck

Kaitlyn went through this stage as well and spent many a night in our bed from about 2am when she would wake screaming . Thankfully (touch wood) she has passed that and is back in her cot now . Everytime she has become unsettled though it does seem to be due to teeth .

I am sorry I have no real suggestions except go with what you feel is right for the two of you as it will pass I am sure.