Thread: Settling in the cot

Default Settling in the cot

I am after some advice to help get my DS to start to settle in his cot. He has had reflux and recently started on Zantac and AR formula and is much much better. However we had gotten into the habit of rocking him to sleep and because we didnt know what was wrong with him, but he would be so unsettled/unhappy we would bascially just hold him while he slept, because everytime we put him down he would wake up crying.
    Anyway now he is better and not in pain anymore, when we rock him to sleep and put him down he is basically awake within minute, I am guessing because he is so used to be being rocked and held, and with a very active 20mo this is just not practical.
    So this weekend we are going to stay home and I am going to begin the daunting task of getting him to settle in his cot, while DH keeps DD entertained, allowing me to spend more time in with him teaching him how to sleep.

So basically I am after some tips to help make the transistion as smooth and stress free as possible

We started having the same problems with Pip, but it was suggested we don't actually rock him to sleep. Instead, we rock him until he's almost asleep, and put him in his cot while he's still awake, but in that dreamy state.

I think with Pip it was the "I fell asleep HERE and now I'm awake and not HERE I'm - where AM I!!!!!!!! " thing. And he'd always wake up at the end of a sleep cycle. 40mins or so after falling asleep ....

Good luck!

Hi Ali, I agree with Kazbah, start off by rocking him so he is sleepy, but not asleep and putting him down. This may be less of a rude shock for him and then you can work towards just putting him down wide awake. I still give my youngest DS cuddles for a minute or two before I put him down, it is much nicer than letting him cry.

Some settling techniques for the cot that I used in the early days were:

* Wrap bub (I still wrap my DS).
    * Use a dummy (I still do).
    * Pat bub rythmically (I used to put my DS on his side and pat his back, he seemed to like this).
    * Make a "shhhh" noise. This sounds a lot like the swooshing noises they heard in utero and is very soothing. If bub is crying make the "shhhh" sound loud so they can hear it.

If you are still struggling after trying everything, I highly recommend trying a baby hammock. It worked wonders for my first DS's day sleeps!

I'm sure you already have done so, but have you raised his cot mattress so his head is raised? I think it is a great idea that you are going to try over the weekend while your DH is home! I wish you the best of luck.

Is he 20months old or 2months? If he is 2mths then have you thought of trying an Amby baby hammock instead of a cot? This will give him the movement he is used to and not aggravate his reflux. Have a look at the website for testimonials.

Good luck I know how hard it is and I'm sure you'll find something that works for him.

I have tried a Hammock and unfortunatly he HATES it, so that is not something that will work.
    Liam is still wrapped, his arms are a HUGE distraction to him while he is trying to sleep, he has a dummy, and loves the shhhing noise and also when we softly blow on his forehead, so we have some of those things in place already.
    For those of you who cuddle till bubs is sleepy and then put them down, what do you do when they wake up again once you try and place them in the cot, do you pick up again or leave in the cot and pat?

I pat his tummy and "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" or sing to him.

I leave in the cot and pat. I do this if baby is doing a wind down cry. If no crying, I give a few pats and a 'goodnight' and leave the room. If crying escalates into full crying I pick up, cuddle and put down again a few mins later when settled. Sometimes this is enough to stop the crying, othertimes it is not! I try not to leave the room or stimulate her, just a gentle pat and warm cuddle.

Ali, my son has reflux too and has been unsettled for the past week (although we had a good night last night!). We have raised one end of the cot so he is not completely flat. We settle him in our arms until he is nearly asleep, then put him in his cot facing away from us so that we are not stimulating him and rub or pat his tummy and 'shhhh' him. If he becomes unsettled, then we pick him up and settle him and put back in the cot. We continue to do this until he is asleep. It is a long process and he won't change over night............but I have been told it will happen. I used to rock Ethan to sleep but like your son would wake up and cry when he realised where he was. I was told it would be like us going to bed and then waking up in the kitchen! Good luck!

Thanks for that Lynn, I am mentally preparing myself for it as I know it is going to be a long process, but TOTALLY worth it in the end. I have raised the end of his cot too. Good luck with it all yourself.