Thread: Settling during the day

Default Settling during the day

help !

Aneta is a perfect angel at night time sleeps all night , but during the day she wont sleep anywhere else but in our arms after being rocked to sleep, she's a little fatty , and my back is starting to hurt big time !!
    I have tried rocking her to sleep and then putting down in her bed or pram but she wakes up EVERY SINGLE TIME grrr.... its really hard when we go out , because we have to sit down somewhere , rock her to sleep and then carry her
    Any suggestions?? id rather not leave her to cry
    Thanks!

ETA- the teqhnique we use at night , is to put her down in her cot and sing to her , works everytime - but not during the day
    Last edited by enigma; November 1st, 2006 at 04:47 PM.

wish I could help enigma - do you still wrap her - I've gone back to doing that with Samuel and it made a huge difference. I know you said singing doesn't work but another thing that works for Samuel sometimes is his mobile going round - he gets transfixed and then doses off (one round is not always long enough though). Also he has just taken his dummy back and that helps. have you tried a swing (if its the rocking action putting her to sleep)???

as you put her down can you maintain the pressure on her so she feels you still there??? I sometimes find this works with Samuel if he's opening his eyes as he is going down. Keeping a hand firmly on his chest (and he is wrapped) as though the pressure is still there.

I also have the fisher price aquarium which worked well for my niece and first DS - not as big a hit with Samuel although on the odd occassion he wakes too early again it will hypnotise him until he doses off (the benefit of this over the mobile is it's more transportable if they get addicted so to speak, has adjustable volume and most importantly goes for longer so I don't have to go in there every few minutes to rewind the mobile).

Samuel is similar to Aneta - he goes down fine at night but is not so keen in the day.

With any of the methods involving external influences I try not to do it all the time so they don't get used to it on a permanent basis - but that's just me.

Anyway you may have already tried any or all of these things but just thought I'd list out some.
    Last edited by jaspen; November 1st, 2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks for the advice Jaspen - I suppose we are lucky that this happens during the day and not night..
    I have tried the mobile ( havent heard about the F&P aquarium but i'll be on the lookout for it )
    We dont wrap her anymore , which is another issue - because its been really hot here lately , she literally sticks to me after she's been sleeping in my arms for an hour or so - im also worried that its not good for her back , she should be on an even surface

At night we hold her hand while we sing , so i tried putting her down and holding her hand or touching her head - nope ...

I wouldnt mind about this too much , but we are going on a veeery long flight to Europe in Jan. and it will be physically impossible for us to hold her non stop.. we have 3 months to break the habit !

I find in the day with Ashleigh i put her in her bouncer and rock it so that way when she falls asleep I don't have to move her.

NewmumLou Guest

Make sure all the blinds are closed and i find that rest time music always helps Joshua relax and sleep on his own( thankgod my sister in law Rae let me in on that secret). It works like a charm, also the dummy helps alot also!

The FP Ocean wonders aquarium is in the Kmart catalogue going on sale tomorrow. It's on page 2 and can be viewed online at Kmart's website.

Not trying to push it but a few people I know use this.

found it going shopping tomorrow... kmart is flexible , if it doesnt work i'll justgive it back - thanks girls !

Enigma, what I do with Cody is actually have him in the pram and rock him in that or go for a walk with them in the pram, I also agree with the mobile as sometimes just the sound of the music and the turning around gets them off to sleep. You may have to do the music a few times, but I find that works. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

hugs xoxo

We have that Fisher Price Aquarium too, my sister gave it to me, and the music from that always works with Jesse during the day, calms him right down and he seems to know its sleep time. We recently bought a mobile which puts lights on the roof and everything but he wont take to the music from that, only the Aquarium music settles him. We also use a dummy during the day.. or he also falls asleep in his bouncer as it has the calming vibrations thing in it (which hes done right now).. but i dont know id a 4 month old is too big for that?

Fee Guest

We're a bit the same with Cooper! He's great at night but not so great during the day. I would have to hold him and rock him to sleep.

About a month ago I decided to try wrapping again and this helped immensely. He would settle quickly and also sleep longer. I also shut the blinds (I used to leave them open). Anyway I don't want to wrap anymore. We don't wrap him at night. Plus it's just too hot. So I'm also after techniques.

We have the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium and it helps sometimes! Cooper won't take a dummy and I don't want to use one anyway.

So yeah wrapping has been working but I want to do away with it. He's asleep now but it's taken AGES!!! I guess he's worn himself out!

the other thing I've found with Samuel - which is not so much going down but staying asleep - is that a cool room si much better - so I've started turning the aircon on in his room and wrapping him snuggly for bed during the day. He certainly doesn't like to be cold but seems to prefer to be warm in a cool environment if you know what I mean.

Yes - i swear by 'Music for Dreaming' CD - Ella loves it and will always drift off to sleep to it. it's good to take out with us too. I still wrap Ella at 14 months using the large muslin wraps (and she still has a dummy for sleeping only) but find that when it gets to our hot and humid Penrith days of 38 degrees plus a fan circulating air in her room (along with aircon) and a lavendar water spray tends to relax and cool her down. Good luck

maggie Guest

HI

Can you get the FP Aquarium from target, and also the CD(dreaming) i will try anything at the moment to settle bubs during the day.. nights great, daytime sleep nightmare, glad i am not the only one who has problems during the day.. DS is 8weeks old, when will it get better????

Another FP Aquarium lover here.

During the day Paige gets wrapped, popped in her cot awake, the blinds are closed and I pop on the aquarium....works well for us, although not all the time...but that's babies.

Fee Guest

Since I last posted Cooper has been really good. When I see his tired signs I just pop him in his cot (unwrapped). I close the blinds and turn on a CD of calming music (I've just started using this CD for day naps). Either that's helping or it's just a coincidence!!! I find he changes from week to week - I never know what has helped! I'm not even using his Ocean Wonders Aquarium much - just the CD. I turn it up quite loudly too.