Thread: Shaking/nodding head

Default Shaking/nodding head

Does anyone know when babies start getting the idea of what shaking or nodding your head means (ie no or yes)? When did your baby start doing this?

I'm curious as Kynan's just started shaking his head at me when he doesn't want anymore food. I'll pick his spoon up out of his bowl and ask if he wants more and he shakes his head (it's very cute LOL!). I'm thinking that he's perhaps picked this up from me as I've recently realised that I shake my head when I say 'no more?' when I know that he's full.

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm pretty sure my neice started to realise from about Kynan's age.

p.s Kynan looks so cute in the ticker photo Angel!

Angel ~ Alex does the same with his head when he has had enough and stops when he wants me to put more in. Not sure of he knows what it means but it is cute to watch.

Yasin has only just started doing it with lots of prompting but I know another little girl who has been doing it since she was about a year old so I geuss its just one of those things that some babies do earlier than others.
    Its so cute isn't it.

Lily has been doing this since she was about 10 months old everytime we say 'no' she'll shake her head.

We did signs with Matilda and taught her the "finished" sign when she was around 8 months old, and she used it with food and baths and anything really when she was finished, so I'm pretty sure he could be learning this now O

Matthew also shakes his head and has shaken it no for a good 8 weeks and yes for 3 weeks (I taught him the yes, which didn`t take long for him to pick up) I often wonder if he understands, time will tell.

Thanks everyone!

Christy, I started doing the 'finished' sign too but have been a bit slack with it so I guess he's picked up on the head shaking instead LOL!

Deeanne, I'll have to see if I can teach Kynan to nod his head for yes too!

Charlotte was about 8 months when she started shaking her head for no. She still isn't very good at nodding but she tries.

jackson has been shaking his head from side to side for a couple of months for no particular reason, he just does it out of the blue. i looked it up in our baby book and it says that if they arent using it as a signal it basicallly means that they have discovered they have got rythm!! now i can see that he does it more when he hears sounds or music, or has a rattle or noisy toy in his hand. his daddy is a drummer, so perhaps we have a born musician on our hands!!