Thread: Sharing

Default Sharing

When are toddlers meant to be able to share? I thought it wasn't for a long time. But Lily is starting to share everything with us. She'll have something in her hand and she'll just hand it to us and we put out our hand and she just gives it to us. Or if we ask for it, she'll give it to us aswell, no questions asked. It is really good that she is able to do it. I just thought we wouldn't see this for a long time yet.

I think they start handing things over earlier than they understand the concept of "sharing"... Matilda has no idea about sharing yet, but she will empty out my wallett & everytime she takes a card out she will hand it to me & say "thank you" each time. Unfortunately if I don't take it she will drop it which is how I've lost my eftpos card #-o

Lily is so fasinated with my purse too. Loves taking out the cards lol.

Melinda Guest

Jacob is the same - will come over and give us things.

I think the concept of sharing seems to be more of an issue with other children, WRT sharing toys etc IYKWIM- this seems to be a bit different to the handing over of things to Mum & Dad I think? I'm not sure........

I've heard that sharing isn't a concept that they understand until they are around 3 years old, but they are more likely to understand what you mean if you say "take turns" and demonstrate that your child will have a turn with the toy and then X will have a turn with the toy IYKWIM???

I don't think I'm making any sense LOL.....

No you are makign perfect sense Melinda... my friends have 2-3 year olds and they "take turns" atm, and can play well together, but they don't understand "sharing" totally yet.