Thread: She keeps ignoring us.

Default She keeps ignoring us.

When Lily is doing something naughty, right we'll tell her 'no'. But sometimes she just doesn't even look up at us and keeps continuing with what she's doing, but other times she'll whinge because she knows she's in trouble. Also if we call her name when she crawling off to get into mischeif, sometimes she'll stop and look at us but other times she'll completely ignore us. Is this normal, does anyone else's toddler do this? Or should I be worried? We know theres nothing wrong with her hearing, it's just like she doesnt want to listen.

I think it's part of their "control" issue and being defiant - testing boundaries. Aaahhh the joys of parenting!. My DD is basically continually tests her boundaries. We use a variety of methods to get around it, firstly the hardest thing to do is to "pick your battles". In that there are some things that just aren't worth the greif - unless they become more common place. Being able to demonstrate discipline or following through after saying "no" is the next hardest thing.

If the activity is dangerous, and we need instant response or attention from DD then we tap her hand. If it is worthwhile, then distraction is a good alternative - and give her lots of attention via that distraction activity. It depends on the "naughty" activity - sometimes ignoring them works, sometimes saying that you don't like that behaviour and so you walk out of the room.....etc....etc.

Get as many opinions as you can, get the support from your partner when disciplining and realise that in the end if you discipline with love then all will work out well.

Melinda Guest

LOL Jacob will do this too but he is becoming a bit better with it. It's quite amusing really - I know he can hear me (there are no problems with his hearing either) - he just choses to ignore what I/we are saying! Cheeky sausage!

Gee, I don't think i've ever come across a toddler who doesn't do this and when they do it is sooo infuriating, because you KNOW the little darlings can hear you. but like the other girls have said, Pick your Battles!. on the upside, most toddlers only have limited attention span anyway, so will soon stop doing whatever it is anyway!

Tegan this is oh so normal, as everyone else as said. As Magic said the follow through is what counts in the end (of course after you pick which battles are worth it to start with).

My son has gone from this to now saying "huh??" everytime I ask him to do something and even if you repeat it he says "huh???" as though he doesn't understand but if I pull myself up and not jump in with the repeat it's amazing how many times he has actually heard me and is just delaying the envitable or hoping to distract me.