Thread: Sheepskin Liner for Pram

jamnik Guest

Default Sheepskin Liner for Pram

Hi All

Just a quick question, i was looking at getting a sheepskin liner for the pram. My baby will be born in winter and i do a lot of walking of a day so thought this could help to keep baby warm. I have recently been told not to get one as it increases the risk of SIDS.
    Have any of you heard of this? I am now leaning against getting one, blankets will to the same job and may be safer?

Just thought i would ask some advice, hopefully i am posting in the right section.

Thanks

I have not heardthat before but don't take my word for it!! I would ring the SIDS people and get them to advise you so that way you know you are completely safe. The thing is; you should be with your baby if they're in the pram so then you would see if there was an issue I guess. You can buy them from the ABA shop and I guess they wouldn;t sell them unless they were safe. I think you would be alright personally.

I haven't heard of that risk either. I'd be calling the SIDS foundation just to make yourself feel better. I have one, and my child is still alive!!!! :-)

I have one. Didn't use it when I had the bassinette attachment though (photo of pram in my gallery). Only used it when they were sitting up, and yes, it is a lot more comfy.

Regarding the SIDS concern: if they are lying on their backs I don't see how this could be an issue. Perhaps the concern is that if they roll over it could be too thick for them to breathe properly. My babies were all tummy sleepers (I got 'approval' from my paed the last time) but I would never have put a sleeping baby tummy down on a sheep skin. Lying on it's back I would think would be perfectly safe.

Oh and if you want to get a cheap one. Buy a sheep skin coat from an Op Shop. Cut the back out. That's where I got mine from and it's gorgeous and cost $8. You might have to wash it with wool mix first though. The coat I bought looked new so i didn't worry.... plus it was for my older children like I said.

I have one, it's been used since we stopped using the bassinette part, when DS was about 5 months old. It certainly looks nice and comfy! Mine is navy, to match my pram.

Perhaps what you heard was regarding sheepskin in a cot? I don't think that's recommended.

We used one. I don't think there can really be a sids risk in a pram, as you never leave your baby sleeping in a pram on their own anyway! Surely if you're pushing the pram you'll notice if the baby rolls over... They certainly make it snug and comfy for a baby in cold weather.